New Here But Old Everywhere Else

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by John West, Aug 29, 2021.

1. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Having recently figured out that I am older than dirt in body, but not mind and spirit; this was the year to try out senior forums. I jumped with both feet into another seniors forum and was very active in its photography threads. That lasted until I needed to edit my photography-related posts (due to changes on my image server) and found out I couldn't, thus losing a lot of post content because the image URLs were no long valid.

My favorite pastime is riding around on my motorcycle taking photos of interesting things and posting them on a world-wide, adventure riding forum. That and other hobbies and interests keep me busy, but I miss social interaction since there aren't many seniors who are interested or engage in similar activities. Thus, my motives for joining up here.

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome John. We had a member in England who was always taking pictures and sadly she not here. I love pictures I'm in southern Maine where are you?

John West and Faye Fox like this.
  3. John West

Registered

Based in central MA, I generally range in a 100 - 150 mile radius from home taking photos. Back when I was in my 60s, I could ride 600 miles or so in a day but those days are long gone, as is the tolerance of my back and butt, LOL.

Don Alaska, Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi John and welcome. Wow another John with a sports car avatar. Yes, forums with URL for a photo posting are not to my liking as it forces one to put photos online somewhere to get the URL. I like the way Ken has it set up here. We don't have an auto-resize here so I like to resize my photos so they don't take up so much space and also can be viewed without scrolling.

Looking forward to your photos and commentary. Some of us have to travel vicariously, so new travels are always interesting. I take it, from what you say, you are in your 70s and still riding your motorcycle. That is great and a sore butt and back is a small price to pay for that ability.

John West and Ed Wilson like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome to the forum, John. Unfortunately, most forums limit the amount of time in which people can edit their posts because, sooner or later, someone will spend the whole night deleting or editing all of the content out of every post they have made, and if that person had been a long-term member, they will have ruined every thread they've participated in that way. A lesser, but often frustrating, problem are those who will say one thing, then, after people have responded to it, change what they have said so that subsequent posts no longer make any sense. Your Greeters will be happy to make any changes you'd like us to make, however; within reason.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Welcome from Virginia, John.

I may be asking you for advice on the drone thread I see you've found.

John West and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi and welcome to the forum .I'm new here too.

John West likes this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

LOVE your thread title. I might use it!
    I am in Wisconsin.
    Welcome

John West likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome, John.

John West likes this.
  10. John West

Registered

Thank you for that explanation, Ken. I greatly appreciate knowing up front that the edit capability will disappear That will greatly limit, if not eliminate, my posting any images here; however, there are other threads that I can enjoy and hopefully add some value. Fortunately, I have another forum for my photography adventures and discussions that does not limit edits. I take and post a lot of picture and the images and their URLs are not static. Will post one pic below so folks will know what I am up to in that regard.

[​IMG]

Other than that, I will mostly stick to the chat threads.

11. John West

Registered

I will do whatever I can where I know something; however, I am no expert and only have experience with the one drone that met my needs and expectations (i.e. a Skydio 2).

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Faye Fox and John West like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That is an amazing photo, @John West ! ! Can you please add some information about the location , name of the lake, and things like that ? That is just SO beautiful, and you are a talented photographer .

Faye Fox likes this.
  14. John West

Registered

Thank you, Faye for the nice welcome and kind words As for age and old backs/butts, my real age is so far removed from my auctioning age that it's borderline scary. You're right about the small price to pay. Being able to do things I can still do is a gift and a blessing that I am thankful for.

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  15. John West

Registered

Thank you for the kind words but credit has to also go to the people who creat photo editing software. When shooting a "raw" image (i.e., one that has a ton of image information but can't be shown as is), there is a great depth of information for work with and bring out. As for the location, I really don't remember other than to say it was somewhere in MA or NH. I take thousands of pictures and don't always label or GPS them.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.