New Research On Possible Link To Parkinson's

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Trevalius Guyus, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

The only trouble is that this "new research" covered on the national morning news, today, was being worked on twenty years ago!

As a sufferer of RBD, REM Behavior Disorder, I was a guy who, in college, sometimes found myself waking up while putting a headlock on an unfortunate young lady who was sharing my bed, making out with my Afghan Hound, falling out of bed after punching another young lady who was in bed with me, who responded in kind (at 6'1", 150 lbs., she packed quite a wallop!). With RBD, you act out your dreams, physically, while dreaming them.

I was very interested in RBD research, so, in the pre-internet for everyone days, I kept up on work being done, by combing through articles I found in the Index Medicus.

One researcher was studying the link between RBD and chocolate. I called him. He told me I was pretty young (19) for RBD, and I'd need to keep an eye out for Parkinson's disease, in my life, as, around, 50-75% of RBD sufferers went on to develop this terrible malady. He needed to say no more: I dropped chocolate from my diet (I was a chocolate candy bar a day guy), and found immediate cessation of RBD symptomology.

The point in my ramblings, here, is that the media is so off in orbit, so uninformed, yet it influences so many millions/billions of people. One really needs to be one's own advocate, passionately pursuing leads that may be to one's benefit, health-wise and in other ways. (For me, the nonsensical garbage that went down with Covid was an extreme example, and one I didn't begin to fall for.)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Media is always off. Agree with you also.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband went through a period of REM
    about 3 years ago , to be honest I felt I had to ask him to go sleep in the guest bedroom cause I was getting punched / kicked while sleeping.

However a few months latter he went for his yearly eye check up , where the local optometrists found a suspicious spot that required surgery (behind his eye) he’s not had any RBD since that was removed
    with no loss of sight what so ever in fact his sight improved , we’ve just had a yearly check up last week and he’s fine ( and Me)

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Extremely interesting. I have never found any articles on RBD and growths behind the eye. I will now look into this, excuse the pun.

Kate Ellery and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sure glad I never had that, it seems all my dreams usually had me working. On rare occasions I would be with my dog and somehow the dog is lost and I wander around the entire dream searching for the dog and never find it. I would meet people that I had known years ago and could not remember their names etc. Life is amazing, it's like flying insects ability to "SEE". They have no realtime vision but store millions of images and that is how they travel about place to place, following an image file to guide themselves.