Legacy Set Up For Icloud Storage Is Important

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Mary Stetler, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Listening to the radio today, Kim Komando, I think, brought up the concern of setting up a legacy set up for all your cloud storage for when you die.
    Who has time to think about all this stuff? None of your beneficiaries can get into your stuff if you haven't set it up.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My daughter has all of the information for my Apple ID , so she can sign into my Apple account for any information that she needs. There is no reason that a person would need to designate a beneficiary for an icloud account as long as you have made sure that at least someone in the family can sign into the account.
    The only thing that i have stored in the cloud are family pictures anyway, and we all have the shared family albums on our iPads. What type of things were you especially concerned about, @Mary Stetler ?

Thomas Stillhere and Don Alaska like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

This is one reason I don't go paperless. When my mother died, we had a comprehensive idea of her assets and liabilities by getting the paper statements from her mailbox (some only came quarterly.) We did not need to know where her accounts were, and we did not need any passwords...all the information was delivered to us via hard copy.

Sure, you can take the time to put all the stuff on a server somewhere, but then it's subject to stranger-hacking. Or others gotta have the password to it "just in case," exposing you to fraud-by-family (it happens...ask me how I know.) At the very least, you gotta maintain it. That's the worse part. Creating an as-is accounting is one thing, but going back and keeping everything updated is yet another chore that may or may not happen...and then the value is greatly diminished.

All people have to do when I kick is get my mail.

4. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

They can get my mail or get on my computer(the password to computer is near by). I never went paperless for that very reason.

5. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

My nephew will be my sole heir, so I gave him an envelope with all things he will need when I am gone which includes where my written passwords are located. There’s also the will and a letter telling every little thing I thought he should know about like location of important papers etc., and what to do with my sorry remains.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I don't really have anyone. I have 3 siblings left who I don't communicate with, and while my current will names them as heirs, I am just as inclined to leave my stuff to Shriner's Hospital or St. Jude's, where it will do some good and not be pi$$ed away. Two of the three ripped off our mother when she had dementia, and they tried to change the terms of another brother's estate when his wishes were not to their liking. If I left my money to my deserving adult niece & nephews, the two scammers would find a way to get their mitts on it.

That notwithstanding, I have got to get to a funeral home and pre-make my arrangements. I have a reference to one that I've been told will not rip me off postmortem. "Final Expenses" I can deal with. "Final Screwing" is a bridge too far.

7. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am seriously worried about having that 5 bucks in my bank account being stolen. On a good note I am sitting here in a nice warm room staring out the window at that cold gentle rain coming down. I'm having a can of Hot Tamales and hot coffee. Life is good... Walking from the kitchen to my room I peaked out the front room window and saw the little yellow cat covering his hole while it is raining, they have very good patience and habits. Now if our world could just think like that cat it would be a much better place. ;0)

8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Not worrying about me, so much. I do as little computing as possible. I 'do' hard copy. Once I told a little boy at our table in a restaurant that I had a horse. He said he wished he could see it. I said I had a picture of it in my wallet. He said, YOU DO NOT!
    ????
    So I showed him.
    Who'da thunk of such a thing?
    But the thought of people who live in the cloud!!!! I think it will prove to have more issues.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was speaking with my wife about what would happen when I pass just this morning. I told her that was about the only real worry I had left, as our children are all married with their own families and situated quite well. She is 9 years younger than I am and has a history of longevity in her family, as her mother died at 102, while my mother died at 45.

10. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Since Judy hd her first trouble in 2003 that was my main concern...being here to take care of her because if I went first it would be extremely hard for her.