Newly Diagnosed And Frankly, It's Scary

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Cancer Diary. Today was Taxol #10, so 2 more to go. I'm feeling OK, just extremely fatigued... like my legs and arms are too heavy or something. :confused: I suppose the chemo effects are cumulative and is just now catching up with me. Thankfully I still don't have any serious side effects, nausea, etc. so I can handle a little fatigue.

Right now my appointments show an ultrasound scan next Tuesday at 7:45 a.m. Whaaaaa??? I HATE early appointments. I guess my "scanxiety" will be building all week because if they don't see any improvement I will be devastated... and if things are worse it will sink me. Y'all need to buckle up for the whining onslaught.

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Hoping for a good report

3. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It is Good That Antioxidents can almost always if not always
    stop or slow down the negative effects of free radicals.
    Just have to find out which antioxidents are able to help.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Maybe the scan will be over before you are fully awake:).

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I haven't done chemotherapy but the negative effects of the radiation therapy didn't catch up to me until a month or two after my last dose.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Chemo, Radiati, and even Surger, helps break the body down, the immune system and the natural normal defense strength,
    so after some time, whether 2 hours, 2 days, 2 months, or even 2 years, other bad things can and do happen against the body/person who is left without enough resistance to overcome simple everyday pathogens or toxins/ free radicals.

8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth,
    Whine away we're here to listen.

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher

Know just what you mean. Gradually, I've become aware that as I exert my maximum force on some obstinate thing, that the exact same move used to be nothing at all. Can't button my shirt or pants, crack open a soda can pop-top, lift tools which once felt like feathers. Why I've gotten this muscle weakness I don't know. The doctors seem puzzled, if nothing else. I hate this.

Additionally,my fingers won't grasp things properly anymore. To pick up a piece of silverware off the table, I must slide it over the edge and then grasp it. Picking up a pen or pencil is impossible. Toothpick I stick sharp point against my index finger then thumb the other end. I hate this.

My wife reminds me to think of the other alternative......

Frank

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, OK then. :D I have discovered that since losing my nose hairs, if I have a runny nose it is a RUNNY NOSE. I have to carry a tissue with me at all times since it is allergy season and I don't want stuff drizzling onto my blouse. :D I'm at the point where I wear a head covering while cooking to keep falling hairs out of our dinner, so I suppose I'll have to plug the nostrils with kleenex next. :oops:

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Sorry to hear this, Frank. Have you considered seeing a neurologist? Some of that sounds a bit like peripheral neuropathy more than muscle loss.

I know that we tend to lose muscle as we age, but I was shocked when I couldn't move that mattress. I have rearranged every piece of furniture in this house many times, so this was a real let down for me to suddenly be "too weak" to move a damn mattress.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Naw, better to use a clothespin, just kidding. Are you allowed to take any decongestant or allergy medicine?
    About 6 months ago my wife had a very bad bloody nose, she's was taking to the emergency room. The doctor there took two tongue depressors and bound them together with tape I believe or maybe it was a rubber band the end result was he had to pry them apart and put them on her nose to stop the bleeding.
    Next time you see the doctor ask him if there's something you can take 4 that.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Beth Gallagher

Yeah, I'm sure there is neuropathy present, but additionally I've had classic carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms for years, steadily worsening. Early in my working lifetime, I used chlorinated solvents often in my work, skin unprotected, and later learned they can cause permanent nerve damage. I had bottles of Trichloroethylene, Perchlorethylene, Carbon Tetrachloride, and the like on the shelf above my workbench. Indicationswere, the damage might not become evident for decades....

Frank

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered