Nfl Football

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Richard Whiting, Aug 3, 2023.

1. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Tonight is the 1st game of the preseason. The Hall of fame game. Brown's vs. Jets. I will be on nationwide TV, NBC at 5pm PT.

I have been waiting 6 months for the season to start. Hip , hip Huray :)

2. Richard Whiting

Registered

Final score Browns 21, Jets 16

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can't recall the last NFL game I watched. It was well before all the kneeling stuff.

I do like college ball, but am limited to whatever is broadcast for antenna tv.

4. Richard Whiting

Registered

The last year or so, I've not seen any of that kneeling stuff. A black San Francisco quarterback (forgot his name) got booed for doing that. The crowd felt it was disrespectful of America. Maybe just a phase of BLM ?

In any event he soon lost his job.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

If any of that stuff is still going on, you might see it in the stadium but I doubt the media would be airing it. And I don't recall seeing any of the per-kickoff stuff on TV except for the Super Bowl...and maybe conference championship games.

In any event, I ceased watching a long time before that. Here on the east coast there would be a 1PM game, a 4PM game, and often an 8PM game. That's a lotta football. When I lived in the DC area, there were enough people from all over the country such that individual bars would be dedicated to showing the games of the teams of other cities (Chicago, Seattle, Dallas, etc.)

Richard Whiting likes this.
  6. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have not seen any sports at all since that stuff started and haven’t missed it one bit. My wife and I were big Redskins fans back in the days of Joe Gibbs and Jack Kent Cooke. Now it seems weird I was so interested in it, looking back on it.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I've been to a few games at RFK Stadium, including years of conference championships and 1991 when they won the Super Bowl. There's nothing like being in a concrete stadium and feeling the slabs vibrate underfoot from crowd activity. I tried to not think of resonate frequencies. (I've also seen a few women's soccer games there.)

I worked in the office park where Redskin Park was located when it was in Herndon, and would often see the guys (Theisman, Monk, Brown, Jacoby, etc) when I would be out & about in the evening. When Jacoby retired, he hobbled around as though he were in his 90s. Real nice guy. It was sad to watch.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We are Raider fans and look forward to seeing how they do this season. But, there are some other teams, like the Lions (my wife was born in Detroit) and how they will do.

BUT, first and foremost, PRCA rodeo's are at the top of our list for watching.

9. John Brunner

I've been trying to watch some of the playoff games but can't get into it. I've also been unable to get into college football. The largest reason these days is the announcers. Every single play does not carry the same importance as the discovery of penicillin. It's too much to listen to. It's all so exaggerated.

If they would tone it down a little and get excited when excitement were warranted and were a deviation from the norm, that would be different...but they won't. So I'm watching a 15 year old Steven Seagal flick.

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I think you and I are siblings from different parents. :D I absolutely hate those hysterical announcers on just about any televised sport.

I've had QVC on as background noise all day. They are having a "Now You're Cooking Day" so lots of unnecessary gadgets on display with free shipping. :D Maybe I'll find some random spurtles or something. I have the sound off (how's that for background noise?) because the salespeople are as annoying as sports announcers.

11. John Brunner

I always have the TV on. And I rarely have the thing unmuted.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John, just like us on weekends, especially when it's cold outside. During the week, it mainly on in the evening. Mute is never on. Growing up, my wife as in a pretty loud household with a brother and two sisters. I was the only kid in my household and the tv wasn't on that much. My step-dad controlled the tv. If I didn't like what was on, I had to go to my upstairs bedroom.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  13. Richard Whiting

Registered

Well, now we are down to the "Final Four"... S.F Vs. Detroit and Kansas City Vs. Baltimore. I'm hoping the 49'ers win win this next week-end BUT Detroit is looking stronger.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It will be a "tough call"! But, since my wife was born in Detroit, we have to go with them. As far as KC going to the Super Bowl, do we really have to see Taylor Swift every-other minute during the game???

15. John Brunner

If she doesn't "twerk," I'm fine with her.