Niece And Wife's Sister ( Niece's Mom )

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Not sure if I should do a thread about this, but..........sometimes, just "oh well, go for it".

Our niece and her mom, my wife's sister, will be doing a little traveling (driving) over 4th of July weekend. On their way to Kansas to see the SIL granddaughter, they will pass thru Colorado. At first, they wanted us to meet them in Denver, as they will be going east, to Kansas, on the I-70. Told them we'd have to rent a car, because we wouldn't trust ours to drive that far (about an hour south of us). Well, 4th of July weekend is one of the worst weekends to rent a car, especially if a person has already got on reserved. So, the niece told us, if need be, they would drive to where we live and meet for lunch.

Well, this seemed all "fine and dandy" until the niece told me on the phone yesterday that she hasn't been vaccinated for the Covid 19. She said, "I haven't been vaccinated and probably won't be." And, we seriously don't think she wears a mask either. My wife kept asking me "why hasn't she been?" and, on top of that, she works as a teacher at a Private Christian School.

So, our decision now is not to meet them. We have reservations made for a weekend trip, the middle of next month, and definitely don't want to get sick before the trip. I'm sure, when the niece calls us next week, she isn't going to be very happy to hear the words, "sorry, just can't do it". If she asks, "is it because I haven't got the vaccine?", we will say "yes". If that hurts our relationship with her, well.........so be it.

Both of us have been fully vaccinated (both shots) and it's been a couple of months since then, but we just don't trust being around her. In fact, if she isn't wearing a mask at all, going in a restaurant or leaving, and never vaccinated, it would just tell us that she doesn't care about others like she comes across to be.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So, are you saying that your vaccination is not protecting you at all, @Cody Fousnaugh ? Even after the vaccination , you are still worried about getting covid ? Why ?
    Why even get it at all if it does no good ?

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My BIL (wife's brother) got both shots, waited the amount of time he was suppose to, as well as wearing a mask. He was sick all last week. Sore throat, etc.. He thinks he got something from stopping by local grocery store to get supper each evening. Most likely now, he will say, "well, now I understand why there are those that say masks don't work". Then again, when we ask him what OTC medication he is taking to help me get better, he said "none".

Anyway, not saying at all that the vaccination won't protect us at all, but we just don't want to take the chance of getting somewhat sick and having to cancel our weekend trip. It's like what my VA doctor told me about the Senior Double-Dose Flu Shot, "getting it doesn't mean you won't get the flu, however it does mean that if you do get the flu, it won't be nearly as bad."

So far, all we've got is some fairly bad diarrhea, from going into Walmart and local grocery store. Heck, we should've bought Stock in Pepto Bismol (LOL). But, having diarrhea strike at home isn't bad, but when on the road in a vehicle...............

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Fact: Someone getting vaccinated only means that their symptoms may be less severe if they contract The Virus. There is no evidence that being vaccinated (a) prevents you from being infected or (b) reduces the chances that you will pass it on to someone else.

Opinion: A vaccinate person has a GREATER likelihood of infecting someone else with The Virus because a vaccinated person's symptoms may be so mild they don't even realize they have this.

Fact: The government has told vaccinated people that they no longer have to wear their masks, whereas before they have been telling us to wear masks in order to protect everyone else, not to protect ourselves. So telling anyone to stop wearing their mask has no basis in public health, it puts everyone else at risk, and it is merely a reward for getting the government shot. All this assumes they have been telling us the truth.

Question: Why do you care that someone else has not been vaccinated? It has nothing to do with your safety one iota...it merely reduces their symptoms if they get it. A vaccinated person (you) can still transmit it.

Fact: If wearing a mask stops your germs from escaping but lets others' germs in, then turning that mask around will stop others' germs from getting in. There's no way it can work one way and not the other...that would defy the laws of physics.

Advice: Those who are concerned should wear their masks backwards and enjoy the self-protection is serves, and leave everyone else be. Since you are wearing two masks anyway, wear one forwards and the other one backwards and you will be protected against all risks, and you can enjoy seeing your relatives. If you don't want to see these people, then just tell them and stop making contrived excuses. Honesty is the best policy.

Faye Fox, Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. John Brunner

But people wear masks to protect everyone else, not themselves. This is what we have been told all along. That was how people were given permission to rage at bare-faced strangers. If no one around your BIL got infected by him, then his mask worked as advertised, right? His contracting an illness is due to the faulty masks of others, and nothing to do with his own face covering (or lack thereof.)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think it’s an excellent example of reverse psychology.
    In In-laws say they want to visit knowing that they can’t because Cody and his wife will not allow it because of the vaccination dispute.
    In truth, the in-laws don’t want to visit but just want Cody to think they want to visit but will continue to say they haven’t been vaccinated even though they were secretly stuck 6 months ago.

On the “backward” issue. Some have tried the technique of wearing one frontward and the other backward but found that it was hard to brush their hair on the back of their head with the mask in the way.

Now, if anyone should think the above comments to be stupid well, they’re not as stupid as the whole charade we’ve been duped into.

7. John Brunner

If they really don't want to visit, all they gotta do is ask if there's any local French restaurants that serve cheval.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

So you don't trust your vaccination? Maybe you should get all three of them and wear double masks. Copper, too. Wear a lot of copper. Truthfully, if someone treated me like that, I would never speak to them again and I wouldn't consider it to have been a loss.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

On the flip side, if the in-laws were coming to give up a bass boat with twin Merc 250’s pushing it, they’d be welcomed with open arms and smoochy lips.

Babs Hunt and John Brunner like this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

See, I knew this thread would "blow up" on us, but...........

Talked to SIL this AM and she completely understood our concern. She has been seeing her daughter (the niece) during the entire time of this Covid thing and we thought that was stupid, but was/is her problem if something did happen. This happened without having the vaccines and now with her having both vaccinations.

Her other daughter would NOT let her see her grandsons for over a year and until she could show proof of getting both vaccinations. She showed her daughter the vaccination ID and then there was no problem.

As for us, due to our upcoming, very interesting, weekend, we absolutely won't take any chance of getting anything being around the niece. Covid 19 and the Variant spreads. Now, if it was just my SIL that wanted to see us, fine, we'd see her. She has been fully vaccinated.

So, bottom line is............we refuse to take any chance of catching anything from a family member. We will go to a restaurant, like we did on my birthday, not wearing masks, and why? Because we've both been vaccinated and, really have to trust that everyone in the restaurant has been vaccinated. If they haven't been, they are suppose to wear a mask, but if nobody is, we have to take that as that everyone has been vaccinated.

So, in-laws or friends, IOW, people we know, if they are not vaccinated, we won't see them. Most likely by now, the niece is wishing she would've never told us that she wasn't. Of course, however, we all know that Christians don't lie! (yea, right)

11. John Brunner

Someone like you who firmly believes this stuff should always wear their masks to prevent infecting others. Your vaccination status does not change the possibility that you can get it and that you can pass it on ("Your mask is to protect others.")

If you go around without your mask on, you are admitting that you do not believe any of it yet you'll still try to screw others with the rules, anyway.

Babs Hunt, Al Amoling and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Our Governor said that anyone who has been fully vaccinated, doesn't have to wear a mask anymore, anywhere. So, we didn't when we went to the restaurant and not a single patron in the restaurant had one on, but two waitresses did. We still wear our masks if we have to go into Walmart or when we go into our local grocery store. I wore both of mine (cloth/paper) when I went into two liquor stores today and we both wore ours (two) when we went into local grocery store.

Now, there's a descent chance we both wind up with some fairly bad diarrhea in the next couple of days. "Been there-do that", for a number of months now, but, THANK GOD, that's all we've got.

13. John Brunner

And you don't question that advice??????

The governor says "Wear your mask" [to protect everyone else] and you put it on.
    The governor says "You can take it off" [putting others at risk] and you don't even think about it?

Your right to believe conflicting data & to do what you want stops when you say you'll back the government in some Vaccination ID scheme. You have a duty to think.

Faye Fox, Al Amoling and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just like when I was in the Navy, John............don't question a Direct Order from a higher rated enlisted man or Officer. Just do it!

And, the same goes for civilian employment. Don't (necessarily) question a Supervisor, Director, Manager, CEO or CFO, unless you don't mind losing your job.

People have the word "authority" for a reason, including the Governor.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

And THIS is the problem.

Politicians are not the equivalent of your Commanding Officer. They are public servants. They report to us. They get their power from us. For goodness sake, man, THINK!!!

It is frightening to think that an American citizen would believe that being a free man is the equivalent of being under someone's command in the service or being an employee in a private enterprise.

Al Amoling likes this.