Not Secure?

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Sunny Bonet, May 16, 2021.

1. Sunny Bonet

Sunny Bonet Well-Known Member
    Registered

I had a member on another site check this site out and they liked it EXCEPT they said they had to have a "secure" site. Anybody...thoughts on this please... Why would a forum site need to be secure?

I mean it's my understanding that that is, indeed, necessary when it's a site that is selling product. I would like to give the member a reasonable explanation...if there is one. :)

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There is no reason. It's simply one of the ways for big tech to make it more difficult for someone to maintain a website without a large financial backing. Other than your email address, we don't store any private information here, and you can change your email address to whatever you want after you've registered. Notifications won't work if it's not a real email address but you won't be denied access to the site, and there are plenty of free email addresses that won't connect you to anyone.

We're not asking for your address, your telephone number, your credit card, or any other private information, and even your email address is behind a wall. For that matter, you can even restrict access to your profile if you want to.

Sunny Bonet likes this.
  3. Sunny Bonet

Registered

Thank you Ken for your prompt response. Yeah that's what I figured...no reason to worry about it not being a secure site for all the reasons you noted. :cool: I'm not sure what the members thinking is, but I will relate this to them. Thanks again!

4. Ken Anderson

When their browser tells them that a site is insecure, they are afraid that someone is going to get the password to their bank account or something. For that matter, the sites that hackers are stealing all of the information from are secure sites. It doesn't keep them secure.

I could require addresses and telephone numbers, and pretty much whatever I wanted to but, since this site is not monetized, I don't need any of this information. There's nothing to be stolen here.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm looking at the top of my screen right now, as I do this post, and there is a white triangle with an exclamation mark inside and the words that say "Not secure". That don't bother me, I still go on here and have been.

Sunny Bonet likes this.
  6. Sunny Bonet

Registered

With so many people having all the electronics that we do, computers, cell phones, tablets etc...oh yeah and the cameras all over the country on our streets...I say, people just need to use the brain that God gave'em. My gosh, we'd all have to give up social media AND our electronics and I doubt that's ever gonna happen. I'm not worried about this or any forum I'm on being a "secure" site. I really did just ask for a person on another site. Maybe they aren't that savvy, I don't know. But i'm good with it, that's all that matters to me. I like this site a lot and it has taken me a long time to finally find one that I cared to participate in/on, even as little as I have on here and especially so soon.

Beth Gallagher and Ken Anderson like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

This thread should answer your question to Ken about why the site says insecure. We have been through this several times before, but this thread explains it really well, @Cody Fousnaugh .

Ken Anderson and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Yvonne!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Think about the information that you gave when you registered on this site, and ask yourself what anyone would do with any of it. There's no private information here for anyone to steal. The only thing I can think of that would have any sensitivity involved in it at all might be your email address, but you can change that as many times as you want. If you're concerned, get a free email account from Gmail or one of the other free email hosts, and use that.

My name, mailing address, email address, and credit card numbers have been hacked at least three times in the past few years and, each time, it was from a secure site owned by a large company from which I had made a purchase.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Just quick question. Considering outsiders can read our posts without logging in couldn't that be a way of obtaining information about a person they want to hack elsewhere? We all have posted some things on here we probably do not even put on other social media sites. After being hacked recently is only One of the reasons I requested name change. Hope this made sense.

11. Ken Anderson

That would depend on what information you left, I suppose, but it seems unlikely. Having a "secure" server wouldn't change that, though.

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

IMO there is no really secure place online. But I think this one is as good as it gets.

13. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I usually forget this if I'm in a hurry, but the way to resolve that problem is to type https:// before the name of the website. Then a little lock will appear instead of the triangle/exclamation.

14. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Mine just has a cross out padlock which states connection not secure, don't know why I'd need a secure connection or page on this website.