Obeyed Cop's Orders, May Be Charged Anyway

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Frank Sanoica, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"Passerby shoots, kills motorist assaulting deputy after traffic stop"

"A driver who attacked a Florida sheriff's deputy Monday morning was shot and killed by a bystander who warned him to stop beating the officer, according to a report."
    "[He] refused to get off the officer and the officer kept yelling, 'shoot him, shoot him, shoot him,' Holditch said."

"Authorities have not identified the suspect or the person who shot him and it was unclear if charges would be sought." (???)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/1...ist-assaulting-deputy-after-traffic-stop.html

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Hopefully he's not charged.

3. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Cross
    If he is, the D.A. ought to be ousted at least, or charged himself with dereliction of duty!

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

But that seldom happens.

5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

There might be a law that states when an officer request you help you must obey or you can be charged.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That could be scary in some cases...like if I was asked to shoot someone that's fighting with a cop..I'd probably end up shooting the cop by mistake.

Mary Stetler and Ike Willis like this.
  7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

You could shoot up in the air that might be enough to stop it.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I would probably panic...have never been in any situation that was dangerous.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Cross
    Not even living in Communist Hungary? Ha! :)

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Martin Alonzo
    Such laws actually do exist. As do very many rarely employed, except under strictly critical circumstances. For example, it is estimated the United States has on it's books, over 40,000 laws pertaining to firearms!

And that is still not enough. Frank

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

It wasn't communist when I lived there for 6 years. Did visit before that in '73 when it was...but I was young and fearless! :)

Ike Willis and Frank Sanoica like this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Cross
    I asked it in jest, of course. But over the years, having grown up during the "Cold War" years, we had instilled in our hearts that the Communist form of government was inherently evil, something to be loathed, like the Plague. We underwent the McCarthy "witch-hunts" which (no pun intended) were an attempt to ferret-out Communist-sympathizing politicians, celebrities, and the like. They even coined the term "McCarthyism".

Later, I learned very important people in America believed strongly in Communist Government, J. Robert Oppenheimer and his brother Jack being a few examples. I have never for a moment even considered, or believed, that Oppenheimer had any leanings toward sympathizing with Russia, or it's pending "grab" of much of Europe following the War. After building the first nuclear bombs, and thus ending the War, Oppenheimer's Security Clearances were all revoked! "Democracy" at work.

OTOH of the consideration, enormous numbers of folks desiring to just live their lives normally, were essentially enslaved in countries like Russia, China, North Korea, and so on. The Russian People likely had it the worst of all. Small wonder they as a nation distrusted everyone and everything.
    Frank

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

When I did live in Hungary after communism, I did see some old men that still yearned for the days of communism.

The ones I saw were tired old alcoholics...sat around drinking and talking about the good old days til they passed out.

14. Richard Joseph

Richard Joseph Active Member
    Registered

There is in Ohio, but failure to obey is only by state law, a Minor Misdemeanor. It also has conditions of risk on the citizen to not assist.

2921.23. Failure to aid a law enforcement officer.

(A) No person shall negligently fail or refuse to aid a law enforcement officer, when called upon for assistance in preventing or halting the commission of an offense, or in apprehending or detaining an offender, when such aid can be given without a substantial risk of physical harm to the person giving it.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to aid a law enforcement officer, a minor misdemeanor.

Just because an officer says "Shoot" does not necessarily justify it either.

15. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't think I could shoot another human being just because a police officer told me to. Maybe I would hit him over the head or something but shoot? I don't think so. That's asking a lot of a regular untrained citizen.

Richard Joseph likes this.