Odds And Ends

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Faye Fox, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Your hair looks nice. I have long hair which is a pain at times, I usually braid it for work and have it down or in a scrunchie when I'm off work. I used to have short hair but it made me look too much like my brother
    (⁠.⁠ ⁠❛⁠ ⁠ᴗ⁠ ⁠❛⁠.⁠)

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks! With my build, I have to be careful how I style my hair when short. I am sensitive to "excuse me sir, sorry I mean ma'am." So far I haven't been addressed gender-neutral as "excuse me sir or ma'am." I think that would be worse. I understand the "woke" are still searching for a gender-neutral word that will replace sir and ma'am. That is except in Texas where they say, "excuse me y'all." That covers it all, including schizophrenics. :rolleyes::D

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It is laundry day. I don't mind doing laundry since the result is clean clothes for a week. Even cleaning the house is rewarding because it stays fairly clean most of the week. My dislike is cooking because, after all the work and cleaning, it is gone in minutes. The only leftover I like is homemade chili and cornbread. While I have a fairly new fancy dishwasher, I find myself eating things like applesauce, cottage cheese, and yogurt straight from the container or peanut butter straight off the spoon that gouged it out of the container. :)

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I absolutely love that; so retro looking. I don't have any Hull.

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It is one of my favorite 1950s pottery pitchers. I love the simplicity and coloring and shape. Most Hull is gaudy in my opinion although I did buy one multi-colored vase. Google Hull vases to see what I am referring to.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'll give it a go (⁠•⁠‿⁠•⁠)...

Y'all hair looks nice Faye!

I said it out loud, somehow doesn't sound right with my British accent! (⁠.⁠ ⁠❛⁠ ⁠ᴗ⁠ ⁠❛⁠.⁠)

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

No, it didn't hahaha! It doesn't sound right even with a Texas accent. It should be y'alls I think, but I must refer you to @Beth Gallagher for the final answer. I know it is confusing and that is why up here in the Northwest USA we just say "you or your." Some might say, "Nice hair you" instead of "your hair is nice." A young lady might say, "rocking the cut, girl." Ones that don't like the short cut might say, "Looks like a dog attack, Faye," and I would reply, "yes, but you should see the dog." You would have to see my self-administered cuts from the covid lockdown years before I was told the location of the underground hairdressers to appreciate that comment.

Jessica Morgan likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I am far from the ultimate authority on "y'all," but of course I have an opinion. :D :p When speaking to one person, I use "you" or "your." If speaking to more than one person, it's "y'all". Y'all is a contraction for "you ALL," so logically would not be used when addressing an individual. Logic is not everyone's strong suit, however.

I also never use "all y'all" because I think it sounds dumb. Who would say "all you all?" :D Others may disagree and to them I say, "fine." :D:D Gotta git o'er to mom-n-ems.

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Leigh Petty and Faye Fox like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

In Texas, the "D" is silent. :D We ain't got no time for d's.

Shirley, are you familiar with "quietus?" I remember my grandpa telling us grandkids to settle down "afore he put the kwi-ee-tus" on us. HAHA

Faye Fox likes this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Well amnit! I always called it Dallas when it is really Allas. Quietus is a word I have used my entire life. It no doubt came from my folks and relatives being from Texas. I used to tell my fake grandnieces when they were little and I was watching them, to settle down or I would put the quietus on them. It is actually a word in the dictionary

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yeah, I know it's a word. It's just the southern pronunciation!! Gotta have that long "e" in the middle. :D

Faye Fox likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That could be confusing since they already have an Alice.

Faye Fox likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

In my defense, I meant that the D is silent in "mom-n-ems." Just to clear up any Texan confusion around here, y'all.

Faye Fox likes this.
  15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Got cha girl. It just applies to some words. One of my East Texas great aunts always said betroom instead of bedroom.