Off To Maryland For A Week

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We will be leaving in the morning to spend a few days in Maryland so that we take our grandchildren to visit their mother's grave in Arlington, and then to a museum. We do this every year but usually, we stay for a week, meaning that we would be away for from 10-11 days, but this time we're going to stay for only a few days and should be away from home for only a week. I should be online at night during the trip there and back, and throughout the day once we get there, except for the day that we'll be with our grandchildren.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Bobby Cole and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  3. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes we know you go every year, hope you enjoy your time with the grandchildren as usual, and we get to see some pics of them growing bigger... have a safe and enjoyable trip...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Be careful Ken,but enjoy :)

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Safe travels and hope you two bring back wonderful memories to cherish always. :)

7. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Safe traveling. Hope the weather stays good.

8. Ken Anderson

9. Ken Anderson

10. Ken Anderson

Above are a few photos of the place we're staying in for a few days. It's a converted barn, currently a writer's retreat; a bit on the rustic side but in a nice way. There are three floors: a large downstairs kitchen, dining, and living area with a washer and dryer. The second floor is more of a loft or an alcove, with a sofa, a bookcase of books, and a large writing table and chairs. Upstairs is the bedroom. There are more photos but they don't want to upload for some reason, so I'll try again later.

Actually, I guess those are all the photos.

Bobby Cole and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Pretty place.

12. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

tell everyone in maryland i said hey---i sure do miss living there--i wish i had stayed there and not moved to georgia--the only thing i dont like is getting snow we didnt get much when i was living there

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

I had an absolutely horrible day. Oh, the kids were fine and I'm glad we did it, but everything else went wrong. Traffic was terrible, and Waze kept doing things like telling me to turn right and stay in the left lane, then immediately telling me to turn right. I can't turn right! You told me to stay in the left lane! Then there would be a long, drawn-out tour through the busy nation's capital before I got back where I had left off, and then it would do the same thing again. It was just awful.

Then, because it took us so long to get where we were going, we didn't have enough time to leave our car parked at Arlington while we visited a museum, because the Arlington lot closed at 5:00 and we couldn't be sure to get back from there, so we had to drive back into Washington, DC. It cost nearly $40 to park the car for few hours and another $40 in Uber fees trying to find the parking garage again.

It was just awful, and I am so frustrated.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That does sound like a horrible day, @Ken Anderson , and the combination of having to drive in traffic, needing a GPS to find where you were going, and then getting the wrong kind of directions will sure do that .
    When I was reading your story, it reminded me of one of the days when I was driving my friend Evelyn somewhere (before she moved this fall), and she took me on a route that went right through downtown Huntsville (which I HATE and NEVER drive through).
    Then, she told me to get in the left lane and turn at the next corner, and when we got there (and I couldn’t possibly do anything about it, she realized it was right that I had to turn and not left.
    Getting back around the block to be able to make the correct turn was compounded with the one-way streets that are right in the middle of town; but we finally got to where she needed to go.
    Afterwards (and when I had calmed back down again) , I asked her WHY she took me that way, when we could have easily gotten there and not have had to go downtown.
    She said....... “well, that is the way that HandiRide always takes me”. Needless to say, we took a different route when we had to go there the next time.

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy your time together.

"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe." - Robert W. Service

Bobby Cole likes this.