Off-topic Posts

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Admin, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator
    Staff Member Greeter Registered

As you know, our policies on off-topic posts have never been overly stringent or rigidly enforced. Sometimes a topic might remind you of something else, and it's okay to make a brief off-topic post. When the conversation then returns to the original topic, nothing will be said or done about it. I do that myself sometimes, as it's a natural part of conversation.

When an off-topic post generates other off-topic posts, the thread can be split, with the off-topic posts forming the basis of a new thread. Either Yvonne or I can do that fairly easily, and we don't mind.

Please don't deliberately take a thread off-topic because you don't like the original topic, or because you disagree with the direction it's going in, or for any reason other than a natural flow of conversation, however.

Decisions of the moderators shouldn't be argued with or discussed within any thread that wasn't started for the purpose of debating that decision, as these arguments simply take the thread further off-topic.

For example, if a post is removed for being inappropriate or off-topic, any arguments about its removal are also inappropriate and off-topic. If you disagree with a decision made by myself or another moderator, please contact us privately. If you really want your disagreement to be public, start a thread about it in the Comments on Forum section, or in Help Requests, if you're seeking help with it.

I am not perfect and I don't expect Yvonne or any of you to be perfect. This is not a question of power or superiority. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I might even admit it eventually, but the discussion should not take place in a thread that isn't about that. It's all about keeping threads on-topic, as much as possible.

When someone clicks into a thread about one thing, they don't need to be subjected to an argument about someone's picture or post being removed.

By the same logic, when you post about someone else being off-topic, then your post is off-topic as well. Rather than changing the topic of a thread to a discussion about who is or is not off-topic, use the "Report" feature or, if you'd rather not involve staff, send the offender a private message in "Conversation" You can send a private message to my "Ken Anderson" account, if you prefer.

When I come across a thread that is on the verge of going off-topic, I will often post a hint. This hint will usually not be addressed to anyone in particular, but will rather be simply a reminder of what the topic is. At this point, no one is in trouble, and if the discussion goes back on-topic, there will be no need to split the thread or anything else. It's simply a reminder of what the topic is and a gentle nudge to get back to it. These will generally be posted from my "Ken Anderson" account.

Please don't ignore these.

When I am posting from my "Ken Anderson" account, you may feel free to disagree with anything that I say on the topic of the thread. In other words, you don't have to agree with my politics, my religion, my television preferences, food choices, or opinions. Your own views are every bit as valuable and as legitimate as my own.

I rarely post from my "Admin" account because I don't want anyone to feel as if they have to agree with me on topics under discussion in the forum, and because this would contradict the reasons that I decided to go with first and last names here in the first place.

You don't have to agree with decisions that I make as to the forum, although you may have to abide by them, but please don't take a thread further off-topic in order to dispute them.

Thank you.

2. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator
    Staff Member Greeter Registered

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A hint: When you begin your post with something like, "Not to take this off-topic but..." you're taking it off-topic, and that post should go somewhere else unless you can bring it back on-topic again before ending the post.

Lois Winters and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I try to stay on topic at all times. Sometimes, during a discussion, a personal friend will make a comment, I will lose my head and begin inquiring as to how my friend is doing, etc. Instead of, perhaps messaging that person.

Begging forgiveness for past slip-ups, and those bound to happen in the future.

Seriously, though, I am with Ken on this one. When one topic suddenly turns into a 6 lane highway, you have lost me.