On The Road Again

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

k2019-12-06_14-17-45800.jpg
    At Arlington, the grandkids, and their father, who is a very good father.

k2019-12-07_11-41-42800.jpg k2019-12-07_11-41-14800.jpg k2019-12-07_11-39-07800.jpg k2019-12-07_11-39-15800.jpg k2019-12-07_11-40-13800.jpg k2019-12-07_11-41-51800.jpg
    From the top floor of the Newseum.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Lovely pictures, not much traffic there is there?. Looks like a great view from the museum... The kids look happy to be with dad and grandparents, so you can't ask for more than that can you ? :D

Micki Pembroke and Lois Winters like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Registered

That's so funny, I know that the USA has named many towns and cities after places here but I didn't realise you had a place called Portsmouth in New Hampshire...

Here, Portsmouth is a famous naval port, and is in the county of Hampshire.. the later usually shortened to just ''Hants'' ( i know it doesn't make sense but that's how it is) :D..

Micki Pembroke and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Portsmouth, New Hampshire was settled by English colonists in the early 1600s, and is also a port, with a Naval Shipyard, so I'm sure it was named for the one in England.

Weekends in the fall and winter tend not to be too overcrowded. Many of the government offices are closed, and most of the tourists come in the summer, and they tend not to drive there, anyhow.

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The grandkids are good looking kids, Ken. They are blessed to have such a caring father. Has your grandson decided what he wants to study in college? I know it's too soon for your granddaughter to have given any thought to it.

Micki Pembroke and Lois Winters like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

He hasn't said, but I suspect he will go into the military first, as both of his parents, as well as his grandparents and great-grandparents on his father's side, have been in the military, mostly career military.

7. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Being in the military is not a bad choice at all.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Registered

It's only been 4 years since Michelle and you lost your daughter, , may she R.I.P... but I wondered if the children still remember her !!

9. Ken Anderson

Her son does, but her daughter not as much.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Registered

That's understandable in a way. My youngest sibling was 10 years old when my mum died, (I was 18)... and she doesn't remember my mother at all...

11. Ken Anderson

In a couple of weeks, a little less than that, actually, I will be driving to Philadelphia to help our former pastor, who has become a friend, move to a new church in Towson, Maryland. He was the pastor of the Millinocket Baptist Church when we moved here, and while I was a deacon of that church, but he left here about twelve years ago for another church in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, if I remember correctly, and then to another church near Philadelphia. He's not actually in Philadelphia but one of the nearby suburbs.

I helped him move from his first Pennsylvania church to the one he is at now, and have agreed to help him move to Maryland. He'll be renting a truck, but he isn't comfortable driving it, or maybe his wife isn't comfortable driving the car to Maryland, I don't know. He had wanted me to tow his daughter's car behind the rental truck but I had to tell him that I wasn't comfortable doing that, as I haven't towed a car since I worked for a towing company in the 1970s, and I hate driving in congested areas, as well.

However, I have driven trucks before, including a big-ass 26-footer from California to the tip of Texas, and a couple of fire trucks. While I won't say that it isn't without some trepidation that I make this trip, I'm sure I can do it. Normally, these days, I drive a Tracker and am pretty much the only one on the road.

I'll have to be in Pennsylvania by the 13th since he is planning on being out by the 14th. I was thinking of just taking a bus to Pennsylvania but, as it turns out, I could probably walk faster, so I'll be renting a car, turning it in when I get to Pennsylvania, and renting another car in Maryland for the trip back. I don't know how long all of this is going to take, but I am not up to ten-hour drives without stopping anymore, so there will be a couple of hotel stops along the way.

I will have my MacBook with me, so I should still be able to check into the forum every day, depending on whether he has all of his packing done when I get there.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Sounds like a busy trip, and lots of worrisome driving, @Ken Anderson . I am assuming that Michelle is not going along, since you didn’t mention anything about that.
    After her being in the hospital a few weeks ago, are you sure that she will be okay for that long while you are gone ?

In any case, prayers for you on the trip, and also for Michelle that she does okay while you are gone and does not have to make anymore emergency hospital trips.

13. Ken Anderson

Yeah, Michelle is doing fine. She'll probably hang out at their Center most of the time that I'm gone.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow Ken...it wore me out just reading your travel plans. If God has called you to it then I know He will get you through it so safe travels and enjoy the time with friends.

15. Ken Anderson

Tomorrow, I'll be leaving for Pennsylvania. Rather than driving, however, I am going to fly to Pennsylvania, drive the damned truck to Maryland, and take the train back to Maine, where my wife can pick me up in Portland. I should be in the forum every day, but probably not for long at a time.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.