One Trick Pony

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Over the years, there have been people who have joined the forum seemingly for one purpose only. In many cases, they are spammers whose only interest is to insert links to their website or to that of whoever might be employing them. These are annoying but easy enough to deal with. I place them on a permanent ban and report them to an anti-spam program that I am a part of.

However, others have come to press a particular political, religious, social, or medical agenda, and they will engage only in threads that discuss this one issue or, worse, they will make every attempt to divert every conversation into one that discusses the only topic that they have an interest in.

This can also be annoying, but more difficult to deal with. Choosing a hypothetical topic that doesn't point to anyone who is currently a member of the forum, let's imagine that someone joins the forum solely to convert everyone here to Christadelphians.

If that member were to create a thread about the Christadelphians, he could define the religion and explain it to all of us, answer questions about it, and encourage people to join. He probably wouldn't be particularly successful in this endeavor but maybe a few of us would learn something about his religion, and I don't suppose any harm would be done by it.

That's not usually what happens, however. Most likely, even if a Christadelphian thread were created, not very many people would join or participate in it, so the Christadelphian would start diverting every other religious thread into a discussion of his chosen belief while showing no interest in anything that anyone else is talking about here.

As far as I can recall, we haven't had any Christadelphians here but we've had people whose interests appear to be narrowly focused on one topic, and I don't think I'm alone in feeling annoyed to find every imaginable thread diverted.

To an extent, we've seen this with COVID and COVID vaccinations. While those who inserted these topics everywhere did participate in other discussions as well, Yvonne and I have both spent a lot of time merging threads or moving posts to one of the numerous COVID threads we have, and we still have more of them than we need. This isn't the same thing, however, because the virus, the vaccinations, the masks, and the lockdowns did affect nearly every facet of our lives, but so much of it was repetitive, and the same people saying the same things in countless threads was kind of annoying, even when I did it.

Still, these weren't one-trick ponies. While there were some who spoke of very little else, that wasn't the case with most.

If you find yourself saying the same thing over and over and over again, maybe it's time to talk about something else.

When you post something about your favorite topic, consider whether the unwritten response of others might be, "Here we go again...".

If you're here to push a particular religion, an anti-religious philosophy, a political view, or a particular medical view, we'll allow you ample opportunities to do that, but you're going to be more effective if you take the time to get to know people here, and that involves taking an interest in what they have to say, too.

If you do that, who knows, you might even develop new interests of your own, and that can't be all bad, can it?

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think it would antagonize members and lead them to just not read anything posted by said person. I know it does me.

I certainly won't get my medical advice from said person.

3. Ken Anderson

There are members whose posts I view as simply more of the same, and it's as if they're trying to beat everyone into submission or to wear them down. The truth, I think, is that while people will eventually quit arguing with them, it's only because they're no longer reading their posts. That's not effective and, whatever it is that someone would like to say here, I'd like to see them become more effective.

Kate Ellery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

I met with a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses for quite a long time and, while I never became a Jehovah's Witness, I didn't mind listening to them because one of them, in particular, could discuss a variety of topics and seemed interested in other things. Older than me, he was living in Germany during the beginning of Hitler's coming to power and was able to discuss history, politics, and other subjects. Thus, he was a more effective JW missionary.

Lois Winters likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sadly, the ones this apply to don't even see themselves in your examples if they read this thread at all. In some cases the repetitive "broken record" stuff has been going on for YEARS, and across many different forums.

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

OK, I will try to stop talking about my chickies so much but I love them so.:oops:

7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

That's why I stopped talking about the bluebirds so much. The winter bird feeding will begin soon and the whole thing will start all over again. ;)

8. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a neighbor who was a former Catholic. After her divorce, she became an avid JW and we'd have some long interesting talks. She, of course, did attempt to convert me, but once she accepted this was not going to happen, we remained good friends for years.

Julia Curtis and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

My long time deceased ex was a JW , when he died his coffin was parked right next to the toilets out in the foyer during his service …….appropriate position for the POS he was

OK …OK ..I’ll stop going on and on about canning my home grown fruit :):)

Julia Curtis and Shirley Martin like this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

It's perfectly all right to talk about bluebirds over and over. And over.

P6050088_zpshjeqbj2y.JPG

11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I just remembered the Religious sect I was trying to.
    Shakers!!! I can't remember where we were talking about religions but I always found it interesting that they had to convert all their members because they didn't believe in sex. They made good chairs, though.;)
    So If I keep bringing up Shakers, they would be a one trick pony?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The main reason I no longer frequent Christian and Bodybuilding forums is strictly because of the repetition.
    As I explained in the Roll Call thread, I find myself doing the same things over and over with people who do the same things over and over.
    It’s aggravating because even though a subject might be worded differently by different writers, it’s still repetitious and to follow in the vein of the OP, the pony did it’s trick so let’s move on and find another pony.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As I view it, the different works that the Shakers, Amish and Quakers do is phenomenal because there are so many facets to the types of crafts that they provide so a thread built upon that premise would be a good thing.
    And, if something is revealed about their individual beliefs, so be it.

Lois Winters likes this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I am Trying to avoid certain posts and move more to less posted topics. part of the problem - maybe, we all have covered all of the subjects discussed numerous times, and now find our selves trying to come up with new topics. I really wish we had Read button vs Like button. So many topics should not even be Liked ,but just Read. Sorry just threw that out there.

Julia Curtis and Ken Anderson like this.