Opting Out Law ( Organ Donors )

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Silvia Benoit, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know if this section is the right one for this thread. If not, please, move it to the proper place. Thanks

Now, many countries have passed laws about "becoming an instant organs donor" upon death. Since many people...and for all kinds of reasons...don't want to donate their own / relatives organs the law I mention -varies from country to country- gives the opportunity to people of "opting out". IAW, a person who wishes NO to donate his / her organs must have a notation (code?) saying so in his / her driver's license.

I feel this law is a good one since I rather help a person than to allow my body to be eaten by the worms.

An example: Few years ago two female Police Officers in Argentina were killed the same day...both had the hearts and lungs removed and four people were saved. Other tissues were also donated.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I am an organ donor; it says so on my Texas Driver's License. In Texas, you indicate whether you are a donor, not that you are not a donor. I have wondered if at my age, there's anything really worth "donating."

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Well, in USA the law goes exactly in the opposite way. BTW, the medical community "prefers" accidental deaths / younger people...but I am sure an older person skin tissue can be used for graphs....even the corneas.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm not aware of the "USA law" since each individual state issues driver's licenses. I only know about Texas.

My nephew committed suicide when he was 18 years old, over 25 years ago. He was on life support for a couple of days and his grieving parents made the decision to donate his organs, so several people lived because he died. My devastated sister-in-law allowed harvesting of all useful organs except his eyes; she couldn't bear the thought of that for some reason.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher

Yes, there is. The goodness which lies deep within your heart.

Frank

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

What a very kind thing to say, Frank. I appreciate that very much.

7. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Your sister-in-law has all my respect...
    Sure, each state may regulate organs donation in a different way but I am sure there are federal rules / regulations.

8. Silvia Benoit

Registered

This thread...which is about saving lives...doesn't deserve any attention. Why? Religious, ethical....overpopulation...reasons? Just asking.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Maybe people simply aren't interested.

10. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Oh, that's obvious...but I wonder why. See, to me a person who isn't an organ donor shouldn't expect to receive one if needed
    I don't know your sister-in-law but she has a huge place i n my heart.

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I live in Virginia, where (like Texas) you must agree to donate your organs. I have always said "Yes" on my driver's license.

I disagree with the government making it the other way around. I loathe the inference. I am not public property.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Silvia Benoit

Registered

I don't see it as "government interference" since in order for your organs to go to save a person's live you must be "" in the other world"...unless, of course we are talking about a kidney, spinal cord...

13. Silvia Benoit

Registered

The opting out law does away with "No qualifying for transplant if over certain age".

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Any state that I have lived in did not have an automatic organ donor requirement, but was something that if you wanted to do, you had to tell them that you want to be an organ donor, just the same as what Beth posted about her state.
    Are you saying that the USA law goes in an opposite way to the state laws , and that federal law in America is the same as in the other countries that you refer to , where you are automatically considered to be an organ donor. @Silvia Benoit ?

15. Silvia Benoit

Registered

WEHAT I SAY IS THAT SOME OTHER COUNTRIES LAW ON THIS MATTER GOES IN THE OPOSSITE WAY TO THE US LAW. Ok? Don't read what wasn't written. Ciao.