Outlawing Assault Rifles And Large Capacity Magazines

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Hal Pollner, Feb 16, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I didn't know that.

In Virginia you can open carry as long as you are legally allowed to own a gun (meaning you're not a felon or otherwise prohibited), no permit required. Conceal Carry requires a permit, but the definition of "Concealed" is rather squishy ("Hidden from common observation.")

So our "busted" works in the opposite direction. If your jacket happens to cover your open carry, you can get busted for unintentionally concealing (if you don't have a permit to do so)...but never the other way around.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@James Hintze

Just out of curiosity, which fact upsets you to this extent, the sight of someone WITH an arm visible, or the thought he/she might have one concealed? IOW, do you feel having a weapon concealed on one's person implies criminal intent by that person?

Frank

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Peter Renfro

That's almost as bad as the situation which existed in Indiana when the Time Line location between CST and EST was decided by County!

Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Since they passed the law doing away with the permit requirement for concealed carry, we don't see a lot of people open-carrying around here anymore, but people are carrying. I don't, generally; in fact, I rarely do because there's not much reason for me to be concerned about protecting myself.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

When Cuomo passed the SAFE Act, he attempted to enforce a seven round magazine. He was sues and lost butfor some arcane reason the decision is only valid in NY western District approx Rochester West. There was no suit filed in the Eastern district so his arbitrary figure stands.

6. John Brunner

In addition, that guy with a holstered weapon provides a deterrent effect.

Anyone can research the rates of homicide where few are allowed to carry (Chicago) and compare them to rate of homicide where the right is enforced (Vermont.)

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. John Brunner

There are lots of factors driving the reasons people open carry, and there's quite a bit of friction among the two communities (just as there is friction between hunters and those who carry for self defense.) One of the factors driving open carry in Virginia is that it does not require a permit, and getting a permit is de facto registration with the state that you own at least one gun.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That's the way it used to be in Maine. A Republican Congress and a Republican governor changed that several years ago and, for some reason, our current Democrat majority in all the houses haven't changed it back, probably because guns are important to people in Maine.

I don't feel comfortable open carrying because it just feels like a display of bravado or something else. However, I have no problem at all with other people open carrying, and I support the rights of those who wish to do that. I left the Gun Owners of Maine organization a few years back because they criticized people who chose to open carry. It seemed to me that they were in favor of gun ownership only if people kept their guns hidden under their mattresses.

I have some woodlands up north that have a fair amount of wildlife on it, including bears and, arguably, as I have never seen any and their existence in Maine is refuted, that there may also be mountain lions. I am not particularly worried about the wildlife on my land. Black bears are not known to be especially dangerous, although they certainly could be if they wanted to. Mostly, they are more afraid of me, as odd of that they seem. That comes from generations are being hunted, I imagine. But I take my guns up there once in a while, not for protection, but because it's nice to get them out once in a while and do some shooting.

Otherwise, I don't feel the need to carry a weapon in Northern Maine. If I were to spend more time in Southern Maine, that might be another story. Southern Maine is packed full of liberals, and that's where the danger is. While not all liberals are dangerous, to be sure, there's a bunch of crazies in that crowd. If I were to have to spend more time in Southern Maine, I might choose to conceal carry.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  9. John Brunner

I open-carried for years, and still do...depending. The only reason I got my CHP in the first place was because there was no way to not conceal in the wintertime while wearing a jacket (without verging on brandishing), and while most Virginia police departments (and individual officers) are fully supportive of an armed citizenry, I did not want to take the risk. That, and I wanted to get it before the right was revoked by a future administration.

I've only had a couple of people notice in all those years, and they were generally curious about the right to "do that" in Virginia. One of them walked over and joined me for dinner (I was eating out) so we could talk without shouting across the restaurant. Seems her brother was [sadly] killed while living in DC, so she was all behind the right to carry. Conversely, I've noticed lots of folks carrying. I guess it's just something you get tuned in to, or maybe some of us pay close attention to stuff.

The current Democrat administration is rolling back a lot of the gains we have made (as they let felons out of prison just in time to vote), with no good reason to do so. There have been no problems or issues at all through the generations of Virginians carrying...just a bunch of politicians who "don't like that."

Some years ago we had a Democrat state senator (Disk Saslaw) refer to us as "The cast of Deliverance" after we attended a state government open house, claiming that "No one in my jurisdiction would ever get served in a restaurant while open carrying." Then the small-minded ba$tard sent faxes around to restaurant owners in his district personally demanding that they refuse to serve anyone who open-carried, even though it's always been perfectly legal and those restaurants have always welcomed our business, just because he did not like us.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I was just reading this news story about the law enforcement going in , “Ruby Ridge style”, and surrounding a house in Montana, with over 100 officers, helicopters, and armored vehicles, to arrest someone with a restraining order from another state.
    According to the news article, the man had been served a restraining order from a former girlfriend in North Carolina, where she claimed that he was dangerous and violent.
    So, even though he was now back in Montana, with his wife and elderly mother, they attacked his house during the night, to arrest the man. Even after he was in custody (he came out with his hands up), they still broke into his house, and took all of his weapons and anything else related to that, scaring his wife and mother, as well as they arrested his neighbor and another friend, just for coming over to check on him when they saw all of the police activity there.

Here is the story , for complete information about this.
    https://montanadailygazette.com/2021/03/15/feds-confiscate-guns-in-flathead-valley-with-30-vehicles-three-tanks-and-helicopter

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A similar thing happened last week in Madison County, Alabama.
    SWAT and the FBI armed with a mobile battering ram broke into and ransacked a vets home, arrested the vet and took his weapons, computer and other items because:
    He was at the Trump rally on Jan, 5 serving as security for the speakers at the rally and had a (gasp) Oath Keeper’s cap on.
    He has PTSD from serving 2 tours in the Middle East.

He was initially held and a bail amount was posted but a judge later refused bail and the vet was moved to Washington, D.C. for trial.

Note: He wasn’t seen in the capital building nor causing any problems but because of his PTSD and the Oath Keeper’s cap, he is now considered to be dangerous even though he has no record of being so.
    Thus far, he is only being represented by a public defender.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As far as I know, Alaska has no restrictions on weapons, and we are allowed to open-carry or concealed carry anywhere we are legally permitted to be. Alaska has also exempted itself from Federal law for weapons completely manufactured with in the state.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Here are my 2nd Amendment puppies:

Harry 003.JPG 002.JPG

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Nice! I wouldn't be comfortable posting such a picture though. I guess I am just paranoid....

15. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

From the picture I can't tell much about the rifles but of the pistols I like third from the top.
    I'm not much of a scope man so either of the top three might work for me if you remove
    the scope. If given a preferance I'd take the lightest one.

Frank Sanoica likes this.