Overnight In A Hotel

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Corie Henson, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

A friend had sold me vouchers for a 5-star hotel last year. I had paid it in full but I seemed to have forgotten about it. Last week, I chanced upon the voucher and realized it is valid until the end of this month only (October 2016). The voucher is good for 2 nights stay and we availed of one night last night. No big deal, just to use the voucher. On Friday, we have another overnight stay in that hotel.

It's funny because we checked in after office hours (yesterday was a Friday) and reached the hotel by dusk. Guess what... we brought along our dinner of hotdog sandwich for me and a rice meal for my husband. We also brought along soda. The buffet dinner in the hotel's restaurant costs 2,400 pesos per person, that's more than $50. And for breakfast, we took a taxi to eat in a McDonald's outlet.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My wife very much enjoys spending a few nights in a nice hotel sometimes and, truth be told, I don't suppose I mind it very much either. For myself, I would think that a bed is a bed and, as long as it doesn't have fleas or something, I can put up with pretty much any bed for a night or two, so I'd go with the cheapest. But I do notice the difference, and elaborate rooms and plush beds are nice.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When we go somewhere for an overnight stay, we take our big cooler filled with beer, water and whatever cold snacks/food we want. Also take a box with crackers, chips, etc. in it. We don't mind spending $125 or so, which can be an average cost, for a room and look for one that has a small frig and microwave. If possible, we like staying somewhere that has a free breakfast. We have stayed at hotels, like the Hilton, that does not have a free breakfast, so we either splurge and eat at a restaurant inside the hotel or drive to a Denny's or McDonald's. We've stayed at Best Western, which was a descent room and a nice/free breakfast, but it's not like staying at Holiday Inn Express or La Quinta. Both of those offer a nice room and free breakfast. One thing we don't like, is getting a room and there is just too much noise going on in the hallway or outside. That happened at both a Holiday Inn, by Disney World, and a La Quinta. Sometimes people can be so inconsiderate of those sleeping!

4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was poking around the countryside, I stayed in a few motels, but preferred to sleep in my car. When I really needed a shower, I checked into a cheap motel.
    Awhile back, my dear old auntie hinted that I drive her out to the west coast to see her daughter. I declined. My aunt likes to stop too much. Breakfast has to be leisurely eaten in a nice restaurant. Same with dinner. Supper can be eaten after a nice hotel room is obtained and readied. Then, sleep until at least sunrise, and start it all over again. Then there's the many bathroom breaks she would need. I guessed it would take about a week to get a 2 day trip over.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When we've traveled someplace of distance, we have always stopped each night to get a descent night of sleep. We have never, and will never, drive all night. By dusk time, we'd be checking into a hotel or motel. If there is scenery, we like to see it and sometimes pull over for photos/video. Much prefer sleeping in a descent bed than in the vehicle. Have slept in a vehicle before.....no thanks! Don't go camping in a tent anymore. Actually, got rid of all camping gear. Just to old to "rough it" anymore.

Ike Willis and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not picky but if with my kids it's always 5 star...if I'm paying which really hasn't happened in a long time...it's got to be clean and safe.

Ike Willis likes this.
  7. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Whenever we travel, we always try to stay in a Comfort Inn.. We find them very clean, up to date rooms with excellent Queen size, (or king if desired) beds, sofa, fridge, coffee maker, and microwave in each room, large flat screen TV with cable, ironing board with iron, full size bath tubs, air conditioned and heated by each room control, pet friendly, and of course the most fabulous free breakfast ever (eggs, bacon, sausages, Belgian waffles, cereals, bagels, yogurt, juices, coffee, just to name a few items) ..
    They also have drive up to your door so you don't have to bring your luggage through the hotel.. We unload right into our room.. Its much easier that way when you have a dog that's wants out every so often..

We also get points because we are members of Choice Hotels every time we stay in one of their hotels.. We have stayed for free a few times and actually we have enough points to stay 3 more nights for free..

Did I also say their prices are as cheap as any other place.. Very reasonably priced.....

8. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

The chain I work for doesn't have a lot of properties at interchanges, so we seldom stay
    in one till we get to our destination. Employee rate helps and the hotels are very nice.

9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I was always a straight through traveler. Just keep driving, nap in the car when sleepy. When time was no problem, I would zig zag around on country black tops at a leisurely pace, enjoying the scenery. I get sleepy, pull off and nap. Stop for gas and buy some junk food and drinks to munch on as I drive. Stay out of motels and restaurants. I enjoyed these trips better than any, and they were much cheaper.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Steve North, we usually do Comfort Inns too, or others in the Choice Hotel chain, as we earn points for free rooms or upgrades. We used to do Sheritans but there seems to be fewer of them now.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I will be going back to Sault Ste. Marie around the first week of December for a small medical procedure..(injection in my shoulder of cortisone) ............
    I will be staying at the Comfort Inn for 2 nights and this time, both nights will be free as I have enough points for that, and I will have some points left over.....
    Even when we stay there as paying, they give us a special rate for medical purposes and there is NO charge for our dog....
    Senior Discount
    Medical Discount
    Are some of the discounts to ask for.............
    The room is normally $129 and with my discounts I end up paying only $84.00 per night (plus tax)...

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Gosh I haven't traveled in ages! When we did travel we stayed at the HIlton always. We like the Hilton for it's safe. What a huge price to pay for food. Lucky there's a McDonald's everywhere! Hope Corey and her husband has a very nice visit. It sure is nice to travel all the time.

13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've noticed that about the Sheratons, too. I think there may be more of them in the Northeast, at least than here.

@Cody Fousnaugh If you stay in a hotel and are disturbed by other guests, call the front desk and complain. If you haven't unpacked everything and it would be a huge hassle, ask to be moved if necessary.

The Choice family of hotels seems to be growing and becoming more prevalent down here. I worked at a La Quinta and also a Holiday Inn Express while in school, and both are decent, but the Holiday Inn Express was more picky about the type of guests they'd accept, so it was a quieter choice for events such as Spring Break.