Parents Set A Bad Example For Their Kids

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Tony Nathanson, Apr 21, 2023.

1. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was watching a show called "I Crime.Com." They show crime videos taken by people. This video was taken by a home security camera.
    On Halloween, instead of answering the door, a homeowner left several bowls of candy by their door.
    A family shows up & 2 of the young kids take a few candies.
    Their mother takes a couple of handfuls of candy, starts to walk away, comes back & takes more handfuls, starts to walk away again & comes back & takes another handful.
    Then, she decides it's too much trouble to keep walking back & forth,so she takes the rest of the candy, and also steals the bowl.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep some people should not be allowed to breed :mad:

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

To me, it’s could just be another one of those, “do as I say, not as I do” sort of things.

Parents have always confused their kids.
    A couple of examples are that kids are told not to curse by parents who curse and they’re told that mommy and daddy can get drunk or smoke pot because they’re adults.
    Kids are told never to lie by parents who have problems telling the truth themselves.

And the list goes on

4. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

HAHA. My mom pretended she didn't like cursing. Whenever our dad cursed, she'd say, "Hey, I don't like to hear those words."
    But she always cursed - but not in English. She cursed in Hebrew, French & Arabic. When I was old enough to figure it out, I told her,
    "Cursing is cursing in any language." :)

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

It’s a given that there really are some nearly perfect parents out there and I figuratively applaud their efforts to bring their kids up in a clean, hardworking home that is built on a foundation of strong work ethics and morals but [without any evidence at hand, I believe those types of families are quickly diminishing.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Children are taught to lie very young.. there is not a real Santa, Easter bunny, Magical Pumpkin, tooth fairy, and etc. Yet most parents were led to believe there was, so it passed down to another generation. My brother and I were told the truth early on, like my girls, yet it never really took away the joy of the pretending moments for us, or them.
    My father was a strong believer in -never lie to your parents, doctor,minister, lawyer or the IRS. A tad lame but that is what he felt important.
    So if a parent tries their best to rear the child correct and right, even God fearing, what do you think makes that child go bad?
    My point being, although many parents should not even be able to reproduce, there are still many parents who try and do a good job of raising their children, even in some worst situations.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Parents can only do so much.
    For example, the Amish are a gentle and well grounded people in their belief system whilst raising their children to know right from wrong, have a good work ethic and have strong family and community standards.
    All that said, the Amish also have a custom called Rumspringa whereby before a teen is properly brought into the fold, he or she goes into the world for a couple of weeks to experience whatever it has to offer. Kind of a “spring break” so to speak.
    Sadly for the parents, some of those teens do not go back because they want what the world has versus what they had known all their lives. Those kids may communicate with the parents but they can’t be part of the community and whatever transpires outside the community happens.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to work with an organization that did free home repairs for folks who could not afford them. I worked in a few homes and met the nicest people who had children and grandchildren that would break into the homes to vandalize and steal. I've been in homes where there were exterior keyed deadbolts on the bedroom door where money and prescription drugs were kept...this was not done because of burglars, this was done because of "family."It made me angry, and it also broke my heart.

I have no idea what could cause such evil to spring from these people. There are so many destructive outside influences. And drugs certainly cause their own problems.

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Then again, there are some decent parents out there……(I really like this mama)
    IMG_0011.jpeg

10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Would you buy these toys for your child?
    IMG_20231003_0ee7fe__700.jpg
    8483a__700.jpg

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

candy-cigs.jpg

That's a bit like buying this product for your kids. I had them when I was a kid. Although I don't see them in grocery stores anymore, they are very much available online.

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've bought legacy candies and gums (Clove and Teaberry.) They've been sitting in warehouses since the 60s. It's some nasty stuff.

Those candy cigarettes had red tips, just like the real thing.

13. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Just after we moved into this home in 2006 I purchased 2 lantern looking containers which had 1 kg of lollies ( as we call them) :) as there was a few kids next door (4) and about 8 others around the neighbourhood.

( we didn’t have any street lights switched in due to it being a new estate almost 4 km out of the nearest town ) so it was pitch black outside ….

Anyway a small group of kids and presumedly a parent ( who parked a car across the road by the reserve ) took both buckets and left nothing for others ( I’d left the front light on )

We have roller shutters on the front that overlook verandah ( one of them ) so I seen what happened through the small slits in shutters .

I yet to fully understand what Halloween is all about cause it’s only been celebrated here for about the last 20 years or so just judging how long we’ve been living here , I don’t remember it while living in Adelaide .

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I think they still make those, although stores rarely carry them. I buy them - particularly the Black Jack, but I also like the Clove - at Cracker Barrel whenever I'm there, which isn't often, and they taste just fine.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  15. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Tony Page likes this.