People Who Just Don't Understand!

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you know anyone, like family or friends, who is like this, when you are trying to explain a problem/problems to them? If they have never encountered the problem before, I guess it could be hard to understand the problem/problems and recommend a resolution. Then again, sometimes the resolutions for a problem/problems, for whatever reasons, just can't be done or done that quick.

Sometimes, listening to a family member or friend say how to handle problems is more irritating than the problems! When you ask "what do you think I should do?" and the answer that comes back you don't agree with, then what?

Apartment living and moving can be real problems for those that can't afford a house and are physically drained getting ready for a move to a new area. Both can be very much of a problem for Seniors.

John Houlihan likes this.
  2. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If you are only looking for answers that you like or can agree with, then don't ask the question "what do you think I should do?"

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I see you pulled your avatar. Do we need to worry that your departure from the forum is imminent? :D:D:D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  4. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sometimes, family is not a good choice. I have family that seizes such an opportunity to show they "have it all together" & are much smarter than you &
    to prove it, they will offer a simple (but useless) solution. And their "solution" is often followed up with "C'mon, use your head."

5. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

that sounds like my family

6. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Cody, when you ask anyone “What should I do?” and you get back an answer you don’t agree with, I suggest you immediately ask yourself the following three questions before continuing:

1. Why would they tell me that?
    2. What do they have to gain by telling me that?
    3. Do they have my best interests at heart in telling me that?

The answers you get from your inner wisdom may help you decide if their advice has any merit. You might discover some truth and value in what they say and decide to change your mind partially or altogether and agree with them. If not, at least you know you considered their advice with an open mind.

Bobby Cole, Ken Anderson and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Actually, people who do that are compensating for low self esteem.

Betty Jones likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, we have told SIL (wife's sister) the noise problems we've been having and she only had two comments, "sorry" and "so, move". The "so, move" is actually a ridiculous answer since she knows our predicament.
    IOW, she knows these things:
    That we have to get our boat back from Marine Service, before we can have it transported.
    That we aren't done packing yet and still have to get an estimate from a Moving Company.
    That we haven't got an apartment lined up yet to move to.
    We have to give Notice where we keep our boat in storage and to the apartment complex we live in.

She knows these things, but thinks we can move right now.

And, when a person asks "what would you do?", it is a "loaded" question that a person has to be choosy on who to ask that. Of course there are answers that a person would like and answers that they wouldn't. A lot of times, it's better just not asking the question!

Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Cody, the very first thing you have to do is find somewhere to move to. That's my 2 cents worth.;)

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh - going to your family for help or suggestion is the problem. Your smart enough to get thru this you have done before. Like Shirley said find a place to move to first. then go from there. When are you moving I forgot the time frame.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We have already got a spot for our boat in Boulder City, NV and paying for that spot now. Have been looking for apartments in Henderson and have a few nice ones picked out.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Our time frame is later this summer, but before Halloween. Halloween week is when the snow can start flying here.

But, depending on my health status later, we just don't know.

13. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not familiar with your situation, so forgive me if this is not an appropriate answer.. How big is your boat, is there a possibility to of docking your boat somewhere and living on the boat? Just pay dock fees instead of rent and you can easily move to a new slip if necessary. Or maybe trading the boat for a larger one if needed. It sounds like you love the water so it just could be a option.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It's a 20 foot Cuddy Cabin that we bought in April 2009. We have never even slept in the Cuddy. Just too small. As far as buying a bigger one and living in it, my wife says "no way" and I agree with her. We do love the water/lake, but don't get on the water nearly as much as we'd like to. The ramp on the weekends here are packed with young boaters that, sometimes, don't have the patience for an older Senior boater to launch/retrieve.

Chris Ladewig and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I hope you find what you're looking for, @Cody Fousnaugh, although I think you'd do better living in Boulder City than Henderson.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.