Phantom Of The Opera

Discussion in 'Music' started by Thomas Windom, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Henk Poort is a Dutch opera singer, apparently much beloved in his home country. Floor Jansen is the Dutch lead singer of the Finnish symphonic metal band, Nightwish. She entered a contest in the Netherlands some time ago, “Beste Zangers” where she met Henk to perform their version of Phantom of the Opera. That show made Floor an instant celebrity in her own country, resulting in many solo appearances, a solo album, etc. (She was much more popular in Finland) It also caused Nightwish to add more concerts in the Netherlands on their world tour schedule.

Anyway, Nightwish decided, as a special treat to a Dutch audience, to invite Henk Poort to join them at the concert for a special presentation of Phantom of the Opera. They rehearsed that song using only earbuds prior to the concert so no one outside could hear what they were doing, to make it a surprise. I just thought it was very cool. This is the first time in 17 years they had performed this song. Floor, is a gifted vocalist, able to switch rapidly and flawlessly between head voice, mixed voice and belting, as well as growls and screams. She has lungs that go forever as you can hear in the last very high soprano note of the song.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My old dog just freeaaked when I played that. it didn't do me any favors either!:eek:.

For some reason, some of my Scandinavian ancestors have gone dark.
    ABBA was ok but now old and history, basically. Celtic are fading now too. Josh Grogan is WOKE ,so I just hang with Jonna Jinton up in north Sweden.
    She looks like some kind of wicked tatooed up tranny, maybe comb her hair, put a nice gown on her,fix up a little?
    I like to see her in Sound of Music. Then I do like the dark knight of rock, Aerosmith, 'Steven Tyler', so guess I can't talk.:D

3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Another one off my favorite rock ghouls, I JUST NOTICED BOTH NAMED 'TYLER'! How did I not catch that 30 years ago?

4. Thomas Windom

Registered

It turns out she’s a sweetly and something of a softy as well, very unassuming and very impressionable I think. She had one tatoo on her wrist of a horseshoe since she has horses and that was it for many years until she met her husband, the drummer from Sabaton. He has many tattoos and I’m certain that influenced her. She’s also a trooper though. She had her gall bladder removed a couple years ago and just recently had surgery for breast cancer. She either just finished, or is still receiving, radiation therapy, not sure of the time line. They have one daughter.

This is her before all her other tattoos. I don’t care for them myself.

03610EDF-475F-4461-8DB9-40DDF8613A08.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Well I like and have chickens and dogs, no more equine, but I don't have tatoos of either.
    Its just the younger generation and I am truly sorry about her illness and honestly hope she has a full recovery.
    And like I said who am I to talk about anyone's choice of music?

6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

She has a great voice, but him? I don't see the attraction.

7. Thomas Windom

Registered

The interviews I’ve seen, he seems like a really down to earth kind of guy. When asked about how they met, he has recited the story that his band, Sabaton, was playing at the same festival as Nightwish. I guess Floor was curious about him because she went to see him between sets and asked what he was doing, he said he was having a whiskey and listening to Panera. She said how about I join you and we share a cigar. He said he thought to himself, here’s this metal singer, who can sing opera, likes whiskey and cigars and listening to Pantera. I need to marry this woman right away. LOL. Here’s a little couple minute video about how they live.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

I've been watching this Swedish woman for a few years off and on. I love the beautiful scenery she films, and watching her balancing stones, taking ice cold dips with her husband in the ice.
    Not so much her music though

Thomas Windom likes this.
  9. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I guess I should have said "I don't see the attraction to his voice." I'm sure he's a nice guy.

10. Thomas Windom

Registered

Oh, yeah, he’s the drummer for Sabaton so his voice is probably no better than Floor’s attempts at playing drums. Floor does play piano, flute and guitar (quite well from a bit I saw) but as a performer, she’s strictly a vocalist.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Following along here, and it seems to me that you are talking about two different guys. My thought is that @Mary Robi is talking about Henk Poort, the opera singer, and @Thomas Windom is talking about Hannes Van Dahl, the drummer from Sabaton.
    I thought that Henk was interesting to watch, but any kind of heavy metal music is just NOT my thing; so I did not listen all of the way through the video of Phantom of the Opera.
    Floor , I am just not sure what I think about her, but her costume looks like something weird to me.
    Sorry, but I am sticking to cowboy music…….

12. Thomas Windom

Registered

Ah, my mistake. I believe you’re correct that I misunderstood.

Yvonne Smith likes this.