Photos Taken By Members Of The 93rd Transportation And 121stashc

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Thomas Stillhere, May 6, 2023.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Interesting the CH 37 Mojave, all Army helicopters have Indian Names. The first heavy lift helicopter in the Army inventory used to retrieve downed helicopters. It was not designed to ferry troops due to the low clearance in the nose. It wouldn't work real well in a rice paddy. The Marines had trouble landing their landing gear type helicopters, the gear would stick in the mud and a lot of aircraft were pulled over nose first when trying to lift off. I saw several in operations laying on their side smoking. The Mojave with it's low troop hole could take their riggers with them to prepare a downed ship to be lifted.

The long Pawnee was the forerunner of the Chinook and the 93rd were flying these when they first arrived, eventually getting UH-1s to replace them and also re designating the unit as the 121st assault helicopter. It is still in service today training mechanics and other jobs at Fort Rucker. Also our 13th Bn is still in service after all these years. My 336th did not last and the last position it had on the books was the air national guard and finally taken from the records as active. The Pawnee was wickedly dangerous as a rice paddy troop delivery craft. It was the worst of all the aircraft in service and was not designed to land in mud and deep water. !!!

A photo of a barracks at Soc Trang, all of them looked the same except for the two tier barracks build down on the south end of the runway across the street from the 336th. I was lucky in my last year with the 121st and got my own personal room at the edge of the runway and very close to my ship. The Dentist office was on the other side of the plywood wall divider and I made extra sure I never played loud music just in case I should have to go to the dentist. There was a small airfield hospital with an operating room and a 6 bunk ward. It was two doors down from me. It was never intended to be a real hospital but a place to stabilize people so they could be helicoptered out to a real hospital. One evening they brought in 5 ARVN casualties who had a 105 artillery round go off in their battery. 3 were dead and they left one on the sidewalk in front of my little home. I walked over to the guy and he had his entire back left shoulder peeled over. I lit a smoke and gave it to him and he was smiling and grateful. I feel sure he made it but he wasn't in shock because he couldn't see how bad his shoulder looked.

A nasty blade strike on a Bird Dog spotter plane who got too close to a Pawnee on a very very very narrow airstrip. Near the coast there was a small strip and in the early mornings it was so foggy you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. We would have about 24 Troop ships and 4 to 6 gunships come in just at dawn and the only way you could land was have someone drop down into the fog and go to the opposite ends of the runway and drop a lot of colored smoke so at least a pilot could see the entrance and exit because they had to get off to the side of the runway as far as they could. It was really hairy

New CH 37 Mojave.jpg CH37 working in the Delta out of Soc Trang AAF.jpg My Unit before redesignated the 121st, originally the 93rd Trans out of Fort Carson Colo.jpg This is how all of our hootches looked.jpg Bird Dog and Helicopter collison.jpg

Shirley Martin and John Brunner like this.