Pickled Eggs

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Every now and then, when I am driving alone, such as going up north to the camp, I'll buy a pickled egg or two from the gas station. My dad ate pickled eggs and we had them at the house often, and I have liked them. My wife won't let me eat pickled eggs when she's with me, probably due to some latent racism on her part, but a few moments ago, I made a jar of seven pickled eggs myself. They won't be ready until after five days of refrigeration, however.

Looking for recipes, I was shocked and disgusted to find that most of the recipes for pickled eggs called for beets. While I have seen those disgusting red pickled eggs in gas stations, sitting next to the regular ones, I hadn't realized that most recipes called for beets. I don't want beets in my pickled eggs, or anywhere near anything that I might be eating.

I did find some recipes for (what I would call) regular pickled eggs, however, but there's a wide variety of spices that are called for, some using dill, and others using a few different kinds of vinegar.

I chose one that calls for cider vinegar, water, a sliced onion, whole peppercorns, whole allspice, chopped ginger root, salt, whole cloves, a bay leaf and, of course, hard-boiled eggs. Some called for adding the hard-boiled eggs with the shells on them, but most recommended peeling them, and that made most sense to me, so I did that.

Beatrice Taylor and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My ex was from Ohio and always talked about pickled eggs and he might have even made them here in Fresno and I do remember them being pinkish is color so I'm sure he used beets.

I didn't eat any because I didn't trust his pickling abilities.

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother made those a lot in Ohio, with beets. Typical child mentality, there was no way I was going to touch one of those things, and for some reason they didn't force me. Possibly because my mother didn't like them either?

Thinking about the ingredients now, I bet they are good. Haven't had the opportunity to try one since. I would want them ice cold. Maybe to make sure they weren't soft and mushy? :p

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have seen pickled eggs, usually at the convenience stores/gas stations when traveling; but I have never ever tried eating one. I have seen both the pink ones and the white ones, and don’t think that one would be much different to me than the other, and I just LOVE pickled beets !
    I do like deviled eggs, which have some of the same ingredients (vinegar, spices) mixed in with the yolks, so maybe I would also like a pickled egg.
    No sugar added to your recipe, @Ken Anderson ? Looking forward to hearing how they turn out and if you like them.
    Bobby is going to be making himself some hard boiled eggs soon, so maybe we can also try pickling a few of them when he gets them cooked.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I think pickled beets are really good too. I've made them several times. Just dump the juice out of a can of beets, replace it with vinegar and sugar, and let them sit overnight.

Beatrice Taylor and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I trust mine more than I do the gas station ones, and I ate those.

No. I have seen some calling for sugar, but the one I chose to try didn't. That's why I made only seven though, so that I can experiment with it and see which recipes work best for me.

7. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

When I have juice left from pickled beets, I'll always pickle a few eggs in it. I do love those pink eggs.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  8. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

We used to make pickled eggs with beets for Easter.

These days I don't cook much but when I finish a jar of sweet pickles I'll add some apple cider vinegar and hot pepper flakes, bring it to a boil, add three or four peeled hard-boiled eggs to the jar, pour the hot pickle juice over them seal the top and store for a couple of days in the refrigerator before eating them.

I know the thread is about pickled eggs but here is another pickle project for you to try. Read several recipes and do the math to scale the recipes down to experimental size. You can also use a package of Lit'l Smokies or a package of smoked links.

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/robbys-pickled-bar-sausage-393874

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Pickled eggs as well as huge pickled onions are sold in all the fish and chip shops here...

I used to like them when I was younger, but I can't eat anything acidic now....

never seen them made from beet juice tho'....

Ken Anderson and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  10. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

BEET LOVERS UNITE! We must not allow such hateful speech. Impeach Ken now!

Ken, the only proper way to make pickled eggs is to first make pickles beets. When the beets hae all been eaten from a jar you then add eggs. While you are waiting several days for the eggs to be ready you can start eating another jar of pickled beets.

11. Sheldon Scott

Registered

Sorry Ken, I was lying. That seems to be the proper thing to do these days. I have made pickled eggs ib beet juice as said but the best pickled eggs I ever made were in the juice of Penrose Hot sausages. I would buy a jar of the sausages and put eggs in the juice after the sausages were gone. They had a slight pink color but not as much as the ones in beet juice.

upload_2018-12-17_7-29-6.jpeg

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Haven't had them in a long time, but when I did, I really liked them.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry but when you lot refer to Beets does that mean in English Beetroot.
    If so very good for High blood pressure.

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Sheldon Scott

Registered

Yes, I believe you English call them beetroot. What we call turnips and carrots, do you call them turniproot and carrotroot?

Yvonne Smith likes this.