Places You Have Been

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Sheldon Scott, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think I've been to all of them except Alaska, Hawaii, and Kentucky, which is odd, I guess, because I have a step-sister, half-brothers, and half-sisters in Kentucky. I have been very close to South Dakota but I don't know for sure that I've been in South Dakota.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Do most of you fly to these other states or do you drive?..perhaps you've lived in them!! What's the furthest you've driven from one state to another ?

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive done it all...plane, train and automobile....and lived In a few if them....maybe about 4-5.

Don't know the furthest Ive driven. I'd have to go down memory lane for that and Im busy making myself beautiful for the Christmas luncheon today. :)

I'm behind schedule, lol.....I guess I need a lot of work.

Harley Price likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Driving. The longest, in one trip, was from Ohio to Alaska. Round trip nearly 7000 miles. :p

Harley Price and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Registered

Oh WoW!!! that's further than the the distance between the Uk and Oklahoma..( according to mr google)

6. Ken Anderson

I visited more than half of the states first by hitchhiking, which I did for a year or so after high school. I drove to most of the rest of them, the exceptions being Florida, which I flew to. When I was married, my wife and I drove from the Rio Grande Valley of Texas to Maine, then to Michigan, New Mexico, and back to Texas. That was when I drove through most of the Southern states. When I was in the 20s, I drove from Southern California to the UP of Michigan without stopping to sleep a couple of times.

Harley Price and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Registered

With all due respect Ken that means little to me unless I look at a Map!!...what's the furthest you've travelled in one trip....state to state... and how far was your round trip from So Cal to Michigan?

8. Ken Anderson

The trip from CA to TX was 2,175 miles, without sleep; or at least, that's what it would be now. This was before I-40 replaced US Route 66, so my miles were probably longer and not so much freeway driving. Our TX-ME-MI-NM-TX trip was the longest road trip but it wound around so much that I have no idea how many miles it might have been. Plus, in Maine, we drove through much of the state, as we were looking at houses and land.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Registered

WoW, it's incredible to us here in the Uk to even think of that kind of long distance driving without stopping for sleep. It just wouldn't be possible here, because to even drive 2,000 miles would mean starting at the far south west and reaching the very tip of Scotland and turning back..on roads that are cramped and narrow...all the way, despite having motorways in many places, but a small Island with more traffic than people... and roads not equipped for it.. , an almost and very likely impossible task...

Harley Price likes this.
  10. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have lived in New Jersey, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida & California and the other states that I visited were by automobile.

Harley Price and Holly Saunders like this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Oklahoma, Kansas Missouri,Nebraska (barley),Wisconsin Louisiana,..have ridden thru Arkansas as a kid ..and of course Texas

Harley Price likes this.
  12. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Lived in Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Ohio. Was born in NY and will probably remain here.

Holly Saunders and Harley Price like this.
  13. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

It's a little hard to drive to Hawaii but the rest of the states I've visited, I've driven to. The longest drive was from Florida to Washington State.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Visited purposely less than I experienced "just passing through. Rather than list them, I'll just try to count the number. Heading specifically once up to Crater Lake, Oregon, while living in Vegas, we decided to see Lassen National Park first. Two lane road heading northward in Northern California, signs began stating, "Road closed ahead", no reason why; I ignored them, and soon learned why: the plows quit well before the Park, we encountered a wall of snow, solid, at least 10 feet high! That was in the first or second week in June! So, we never got to Oregon.

I count 22 states visited or passed through. 'Course, Hawaii was a definite visit!

Holly Saunders and Harley Price like this.
  15. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Since the OP stated 'Visited', I'll count vacations to the list.

Lived: Alabama, Colorado, Washington, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida,
    Alaska, Hawaii, Virginia, California, Nebraska, Tennessee.

Vacations or TDY ( military temp duty ): New York, Arizona, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana,
    Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, North Dakota
    New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming.

Ones I still want to visit: 0

Nothing against those other states, just no reason to visit in the near future.