Playpens

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Hedi Mitchell, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have had one of those before and they are awesome, as long as it is not a puppy or a bad chewer that would shred the pen. It is very lightweight and easy to move around, and you can have the top open or closed and the side door open or closed.

I bought one back when my Chipper was still alive, because he had always slept right beside me on the bed, but had fallen off, and I was afraid that he would hurt himself if he fell off again.
    I put it right beside me on the floor by the bed, so that he could still be next to me, and with the top open he could stand up on his back legs and I could pet him, so he still felt comforted and loved.

I tried using it for Poodle, but he yowled because he didn’t want to sleep in the crate, he wants to sleep at the foot of the bed. Since I am not worried about him falling off, I have not used the little crate for him. If you put Radar n it when he is beside you and give him a treat when you put him in, he will learn that it is his bed and should not be upset when you walk into the other room and leave him.

We had the Restaurant when Chipper was a puppy, and I kept him in the back (we lived in the back room of the restaurant) in one of the folding baby playpens that I got at the thrift store. He had his little Squirrel toy in there with him, and he was happy to be in there, and I just took him out every so often to go outside and go potty.

The baby playpens are good because you can actually put some food and a potty-pad in there and still have room for their blanket to sleep on. If you check places like thrift stores and Craigslist, you can often get one for around $20. Since they fold up, they are easy to move around, too.

Here is the thread about Chipper’s playpen bed:
    http://www.seniorsonly.club/threads/chippers-new-bed-has-arrived-and-he-loves-it.6575/#post-223114

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

When my little Harry blew out both his back knees jumping off our tall bed, he had surgery on both at the same time. We were supposed to keep him from running and jumping for a few weeks so I dragged out the baby playpen that I bought years ago for the grandbabies. It worked great; kept him corraled but the top was open so I could pet him or reach down to get him out easily.

Upstairs we always had his regular crate set up (a large metal wire crate with solid plastic bottom and a "bed" pad in it. Looked like this...

upload_2022-11-1_11-9-33.png

He always wanted to be where we are, and would howl if I came upstairs and left him downstairs in the playpen for a few minutes. :D I sure miss that pesky little dog.

4. Yvonne Smith

Another option to consider is getting some of those washable doggie bands for male dogs. Poodle sometimes has an accident if he gets up during the night or early morning, so I got him some of the bands to wear overnight. This might work good for Radar, too, because then he could still follow you around.
    Different ones have different size measurements, so what is a small on one set might be a medium on a different set. Measure Radar right in front of his back legs and then choose the option closest to his measurements.
    They have a good amount of Velcro so it should fit with no problems. We told Poodle that he has “Poodle-Jamas” and he does not mind wearing them.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Gloria--I looked at that one on Amazon again; that one seems really small so make sure you know what you're getting.

6. Yvonne Smith

That is the same size as I had for Chipper, his was 27”, so just a little smaller, and it was perfect for him for just sleeping.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Radar only weighs 8- 9 lbs. and yes it seems small. trying to decide if I should get bigger size, He will only be in ti over night and while I am busy, Decisions decisions ;)

8. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I have tried and sent back so many of those bands. They just slid right off of him. i just sent three back recently, My SIL had a really good from Chewy but cant find them on there anmore.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

If it's just for sleeping that's probably an OK size. Harry was about 16 pounds and I wanted him to have room to move around a bit, plus if they have an accident in there you don't want them to have to lay in it. :D I liked the hard plastic floor in a crate because it cleaned up easily if he spilled his water or whatever. So he had his bed on one side and his water bowl on the other side.

We started Harry in a crate from when he was 8 weeks old. I was still working so I'd get up in the morning and let him out, play with him a bit, feed him his breakfast, and let my husband deal with him after I left for work. When my husband left for work, he'd put Harry in the crate. I'd go home at lunchtime, let him out to play and potty, then back in the crate till the kids (high school) got home and they'd let him out again. That crate made potty training really easy; it wasn't long until Harry could just wander around in the house without making a mess. I went home every day at lunch to let him out, though.

10. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

We had wire crates for the German Shepard we had once. That helped when we were gone to work. Only going with mesh because easy for me to pick up and sit in another room if needed. Plus fold and put away if needed to.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Sounds like that will be a good solution for you. Plus Radar is tiny so the size should be fine. Harry was bigger and a crazy-man, so he would have torn it to shreds in no time, lol.

12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We have one of those and it comes in handy on trips in the van or use to.

13. Yvonne Smith

I looked through them really well before I ordered a set for Poodle, @Hedi Mitchell . I measured him right in front of his back legs (13.5”) and then looked for a set that this would come in the middle of the length, so it would have room for larger or smaller as needed. The ones I got said 11-14” for small, but they fit him fine.

Here is Poodle relaxing on the couch in his bathrobe and poodle-jamas. You can see how well they fit.

DC8F21A5-6D87-41A9-A38B-9628FEC4B8D1.jpeg

14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

He looks like a happy camper.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Well, this morning, I am re-thinking the Poodle-Jama situation. They work great. Marco Poodle likes wearing clothes, so he jumps right up on my lap for me to put them on, all that is good.
    But……. Last night there was an unexpected problem.
    Poodle spends his time between sleeping by my feet at the foot of the bed, and laying on the back of the Poodle-Couch as he is doing in the picture I posted above.
    The band is small enough that it does not completely overlap, so there is always a bit of Velcro peeking out at the top of the band.
    Somehow, Poodle got the fringes of the couch shawl stuck into his Velcro, so this morning when he came to get back up on the bed, he was dragging the shawl along behind him, and a gob of fringes were stuck in the Velcro.
    I ended up getting the band off of Poodle, and then unsticking the yarn fringes one at a time from the Velcro .
    When I used it at first, Poodle was also wearing his bathrobe to bed because it was a chilly night, and that covered the Velcro and adhered to it; but was easy to remove.

I am going to get some bands that are just a little larger and try those. Amazon has their disposable ones on sale for only $8, instead of $16, so I ordered a pack and we will see how those fit, they don’t have Velcro, and people said that they could be reused if they were not wet.