Pollination Or The Lack Thereof

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Dwight Ward, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I have seven tomato plants and only six tomatoes going. I have lots of bush beans and only a dozen pods. I have only one corn plant showing a cob. It's a little early to tell about my melons, cantaloupe and peppers.

I've seen no honeybees at all this year. A few bumble bees, some small white butterflies and an even smaller black moth or butterfly seem to be the only ones pollinating anything.

Is this happening all over the country? Worldwide? Beyond my own personal displeasure couldn't this be a global catastrophe? I'm a novice gardener and I don't know. Any thoughts anyone?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not being an expert on bees, I can't say which type we have but I have seen a whole lot of bees on the flowers in my front garden. Oddly, they were paying a great deal of attention to the peonies two weeks after the flowers disintegrated. There is supposedly a worldwide reduction in the number of bees pollinating crops. Some attribute the shortage to GMO crops and pesticides, while those who see global warming in everything have blamed climate change.

If I were to follow the money, I would consider who might benefit from a reduction in the number of wild bees. If we couldn't grow our own crops, wouldn't we be even more beholden to big industry?

3. Dwight Ward

Registered

Honeybee
    [​IMG]

Bumblebee
    [​IMG]

The pics don't show side by side comparison but the bumblebee is 3 to 5 times larger than the honeybee ( my guess ). And Ken, I don't disagree that nefarious forces may be afoot. My normal level of paranoia is high anyway and this is an overload.

Incidentally, the bumblebee is pretty territorial compared to its cousin. It confronts you if you step into its space. I just back away and let them go about their business. I've never been stung by a bumblebee but have been many times by the smaller honeybee.

4. Dwight Ward

Registered

I did a very brief hunt. The peonie evidently produces nectar that the bees can get to even after the petals have dropped. Sharp eyes you have, Obiwan Ken Obie.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We have noticed many changes in the insects,native plant die offs and our plants are not doing well either but we figured it may be the seed we planted too late in spring.

Our butterfly and bee populations are fewer each year for past several years now.
    I'm hoping to start some inside this fall and see if they are any better than the ones we plant out.

6. Dwight Ward

Registered

The only insects I notice a slight resurgence of, and just in damp weather, are lightning bugs ( some call them fireflies ). Hopefully it's all just some temporary environmental glitch.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

We have a lot of those too.They are really something when they line our driveway neat looking.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My son just commented the other day that he has far fewer cucumbers this year than normal. He said that he is not seeing many honeybees.

I picked two bumblebees while picking blueberries. One yesterday and one today. They were in a cluster of blueberries. Neither of them stung me. I think they were as startled as I was. I jumped and they flew.

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

It a shame about the bees last few years.We have a couple bubble bees that seems to live here.They get right in your face and hover.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  10. Dwight Ward

Registered

They don't seem to be aggressive unless you're in their home space. When I was in new construction they would find a hole in framing that had been standing for a while and make that their territory. When you got too close they'd harass you a bit. I haven't a clue about their life cycle, whether they form colonies like honey bees, or what.

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

We don't know either. They don't seem agressive ,knock on wood.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The big ones in those holes are probably carpenter bees... and they made those holes. :eek:

13. Dwight Ward

Registered

You're talking to a carpenter here. I like to knock on wood. :
    Two carpenter bees or not two carpenter bees, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the spirit to be a bee or ...
    ...oops, lost my train of thought. What was the question again?

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Oh myI married a carpenter had 3 kids with him in 1967. Funny how song " If I Were A Carpenter " came out that year or soon after,lol.

Dwight Ward and Beth Gallagher like this.