Possible Ibs-d?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 17, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ever heard of Irritable Bowel Syndrome- Diarrhea? Ever had it? If "yes", what did you do about it?

At first, I thought it was because of going into grocery stores and/or eating inside a restaurant where we live. Seem like, each time afterwards, one us would get diarrhea within the next two days. Like I said, I thought it could have something to do with where we live and Covid 19.

But, after thinking about it, last year I got some diarrhea while in Colorado Springs (Colorado), Dodge City (Kansas) and Las Vegas. So, I figure my diarrhea hasn't got a thing to do with where we are going here.

This "diarrhea" thing has been going on with us for over a year now, but not on a daily basis. If I get it, my wife ends up getting it later or visa-versa.

Any ideas?

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just sent an online message to my VA doctor, thru his nurse, asking about IBS-D and taking more (2000IU more) vitamin D3 to help me. I'm already taking 2000IU D3 each morning, but read that taking 3,500IU could help my IBS-D. If that is indeed what I have.

Wife and I inside at Cracker Barrel on Sunday evening and yesterday evening I wound up with some diarrhea.

Just want to know if something is wrong with my digestive system. I read that folks my age (73) can have diarrhea quite often that does turn into IBS-D.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sorry to hear this. Make sure to stay hydrated. Drink Pedialyte Electrolyte Solution if necessary to keep your electrolytes up...NOT GatorAde.

I've had something similar off & on going way back, and it's started back a little bit lately. There was a period when I ate out a lot because I burned out on cooking. It was often a race to get home to get to the bathroom in time, (although you said your issue is not immediate.) It never happens when I cook at home. I suspect my irregular eating habits, the fact that I gorge myself, and especially the fattier restaurant food were/are contributing factors for me. There can be lots of causes for this (gastrocolonic reflex), including plain ol' stress. For me, I'm not too concerned because as I said, it's only when I eat out, and it's not real often.

I was unaware than any condition could "become" IBS, but I've not read extensively on it, and I think IBS is a big umbrella of stuff. Good luck. Stay hydrated. Get some Pedialyte Electrolyte Solution to have on hand for when you need it. I keep some with my other OTC stuff.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  4. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I've thought about the IBS D and C issues, and if I had it, I would have the C (constipation) issues which I've had all my life.... And I'm now taking oxy power capsules that I've posted in my Sluggish Bowel thread...and I've been concentrating on eating higher fiber foods.

But for you look at how much fiber you are consuming and for a while at
    least concentrate on more bland binding foods like white rice and there are other binding foods to concentrate on.

Binding Foods:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/449981-foods-that-bind-the-bowels/