Posting In Threads Started By Deceased Members

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Kate Ellery, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Just wondering if it’s just me ,… it feels eerie to me posting in a thread which I just did on hiring a lawyer
    Then I deleted it ….it just didn’t feel right …

It’s not a bother posting if a deceased member has added to the thread …….started by others

it’s when a deceased member STARTED the thread that makes me feel …..mmmm it’s like we are answering their question/ addressing them, especially if the thread has very few replies ….

So my question is should threads started by deceased members be deleted ?. ? ? Or closed to no further comments ..l just a question really…

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    Vada Bloom likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

If posters are still interested in the discussion, then it's fine with me. Better than starting another thread to clutter up the place. :D It makes me smile to see Lon's name pop up, though. He kept the threads churning out so we'd all have something to talk about.

3. Kate Ellery

Registered

Thanks for your input @Beth Gallagher the thread I mentioned got very few posts , and I always smiled at Lon’s posts and I miss seeing him pop up with his food photos and all about his interesting working life

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's an interesting point, @Kate Ellery. I just posted in that thread for a second time, and was mostly aware that Lon started it because the thread is still on Page 1 and his initial comment with the full-sized Rest In Peace avatar appears when you open the thread.

I bet most folks who post on the Supper and Lunch threads aren't aware that their originators are deceased. But that's because the Lunch thread (Bill Boggs) is approaching Page 100, and the Supper thread (Sheldon Scott) is approaching Page 500.

I guess it's the short threads that make us think we're still addressing the original poster, and that the conversation hasn't wandered away from them yet.

And I agree...I miss Lon, just as I miss Bill, Sheldon and others. And I've not been here all that long. I can imagine how longer-term members must feel.

5. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’d written a lengthy reply in that thread this morning about lawyers and it felt odd , eerie in such a short thread like I was addressing / replying to Lon ( so I deleted it )

I greatly respected and also miss his interesting threads and posts as well .

Im sure there is prob simular topics on here if I look hard enough :):)

@John Brunner

Vada Bloom and John Brunner like this.
  6. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

So many of the things I've thought about the old threads on this forum have been posted in this one. The old threads seemed really strange to me at first but I guess I'm getting used to seeing most of the posts in a thread being years old and maybe only the last few comments are recent.

Speaking of Lon, I didn't know him at all but I read a thread of his here about retirement living. He was living in a senior home and it was a really interesting read. A lot is written about retirement homes but it's rare to find something written by someone who is actually experiencing it. It would be a shame to lose that thread and I'm sure there are probably others that are very valuable resources as well.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Lon was a very interesting guy; a former mortician! He lived in CA but had lived in New Zealand and had an interesting life. He posted a lot of pictures of his memories and a lot of pictures of his assisted living apartment and the delicious foods they served.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I suppose the easiest answer I can give is enveloped within a question:

Upon your own demise, would you like people to stop posting in a thread you started ?

No matter when we pass, we will leave certain legacies and though passed, we live on through those legacies in other people’s minds and hearts.
    To me, posting or even replying in a thread that was created by a member who has met their demise does that person honor and keeps the memory of them alive.

Of course, I do remember something that happened either on this site or some other, when a person well known for their indefatigable amount of virtue signaling, got into an argument with a dead person.
    She ranted and raved on about something the dear departed wrote, not realizing that the person she was trying to debate was dead.
    After there was no response she got angry and even angrier 2 or 3 posts later when again, there was no response.
    Finally someone posted and said that the original poster had died and I, feeling a bit quirky at the time, wrote the Karen and told her that it was her angry posts that probably killed him.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    Von Jones and Ken Anderson like this.