Posting Negative Reviews On Products

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Kate Ellery, Dec 25, 2023.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I wasn’t certain where to post this and happy for it to be moved to the correct place if it’s not in right part of forum ….thanks

The question I wanted to ask was do you leave reviews good or bad for anything you buy ??

I used to feel guilty about negative reviews on the likes of eBay ( I rarely shop on eBay now days )

but I have left ….one or two due to trying contact a sellers who ignored any communication , one such seller was advertising small round elastic for masks at the height of the pandemic ,I ordered 10 mtrs and got like a length of string about 2 mtrs long that looked like it had been spray painted the colour I wanted , being charcoal ..The other just ignored any communication and didn’t supply or even acknowledge my order .

Today I’ve posted 2 negative but polite reviews one was for a spin mop bucket they cost me $57 .00 it lasted about 6 months before it gave up spinning just like……..

I’d had with the previous exact the same brand bucket .,so I’d spent $114 on 2 useless mop buckets that are being used for watering plants in pots (minus the spin bit )

Both buckets foot control to spin the mop gave up due to exact same issue …… R being mechanical minded ( was his trade being a mechanic) anyway he pulled the spinners apart and found they have a small cheap nasty bearing …

that’s causing the issue …but it’s attached to a plastic shaft and he didn’t attempt to fix it cause he’d prob damage/ break the shaft in trying to remove the bearing .

So I looked up the most respected review sites for feedback on (anything) that comes under goods and services in Aust …….. and what do you know it’s got
    over 60% negative reviews for the same mop bucket …. so I added my bit as well as most reviews are for the exact same thing that happened to my …2 ..mop buckets

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Kate, I absolutely do post both positive and negative reviews. I try to be fair and state my experience with the product. I do leave seller "feedback" on the items I purchase on Ebay but I don't buy a lot from there and usually have a positive experience.

As for the spin mop, my personal favorite is the O-Cedar EasyWring. It's a little pricey but worth every penny. I bought mine in 2019 and it is still going strong. I like it so much that I sent one to my sister. It's easy to use and my hands never touch water or the mop head. I have bought extra mop heads for it so that I have a clean one at all times. The heads wash and dry very well, too.

upload_2023-12-25_22-35-8.png

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm trying to think of the last time I left a negative review for something. I have done it, not out of anger but to inform other buyers. I've heard of sellers contacting buyers to see what they can do to have their negative reviews deleted (offer them product, stuff like that.)

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have left not-so-nice reviews on a few things and positive reviews on a few things I regretted a couple weeks later. My only REALLY negative review I left was concerning the instructions included with a bathroom ceiling vent fan. The fan was a fine product, but the instructions were written by what I thought was someone who had never installed the product and whose first language was definitely NOT English (I suspected Chinese). I was informed by the company that my negative review was not accepted by the company for publication. I suspect that happens a lot with negative reviews, but I doubt they notify the reviewers often.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I do a fair number of reviews on Yelp and Amazon. I try and be fair and when reviewing usable products to try them first a few times before giving review. Recently gave a negative one about a restaurant we ate at. It was deserving, but i did mention a good thing also. i love being able to eat out and enjoy and hear a conversation from the person sitting across from me.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. John Brunner

I was once at a Chinese restaurant heading into the holidays and it was nearing closing. Three of the staff broke out the artificial Christmas tree and sat on the floor, passing the instructions around, each with a puzzled look on their faces. I had to smile at the irony.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The queen of the house does most of the review work and though I am sure she is very fair with them, she does have a certain flair when it comes time to drop the bomb on a piece of merchandise, company or person.
    Now, I do not know a lot about it because reviews are generally her bailiwick but if perchance I have a receipt that asks for a review, she wants it as though it were a prize to be had and will endeavor to favor the company with whatever information they wish to have very quickly.

So far as myself, well, when Amazon had a thing several years ago that rewarded reviews with huge cut prices on otherwise high end products, I did my fair share of reviewing but now that it has stopped, I rarely post anything at all.

There are the rare times however when I get a note from Amazon asking me to evaluate a purchase specifically to answer a question asked by a potential buyer.
    For those, I will generally write and give whatever opinion or directions that I might have.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Most of the time, we are happy with the items we get from Amazon, and I write a nice review and mention what I like about it, and if there is something that is an issue, I may mention that, too.

eBay will hound you for reviews until you leave one, and I usually just say that it arrived fast and works as expected on those reviews.
    However…… right now, I am still grumbling about that fruitcake, which I ordered and paid for back on the 13th of December and was supposed to arrive around the 18-19 of the month, and has still not arrived.

When I contacted the seller, they sent me a rude message that it arrived on the 19th, and I should ask my neighbors and look around the yard for it, because it had already arrived and they hoped I got it.
    I filed the information for eBay and gave them a poor rating. I think that the fruit cake is going to be delivered, but it is ridiculous the way they treat their customers.

IMG_5777.jpeg

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Did you track the package yourself, Yvonne? I'm sure you know that Ebay/Paypal will intervene on your behalf.

Andrea Lindsey and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Yes, and it was ordered from a company in Texas, but eventually shipped from California, after they said I had already received it. It now says that it is in Huntsville and supposed to be delivered today when I checked it this morning.
    I think that this company has a bad attitude and is not even trying to be helpful, or I would have just wrote it off to slow holiday shipping.

11. Kate Ellery

Registered

That looks identical to the one I’ve mentioned I’ve left negative reviews for along with dozens of others @Beth Gallagher
    Only our are called
    IMG_5801.jpeg

12. Kate Ellery

Registered

How rude is that @Yvonne Smith I’d be giving them lots of RED stars , Pay pal doesn't have a very name either, but I mainly still pay for online purchases using them , they just successfully settled a case with Spotlight $85 .00 when I ordered Ivory curtain fabric and they sent me a really bright yellow colour

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  13. Kate Ellery

Registered

This is the curtain fabric on Left .,that spotlight sent me ( it was allot more yellow than it looks in photo ) in right is the colour I wanted

They are a huge curtain / fabric / homewares shop and they don’t know the difference between CREAM and Ivory colour fabric :eek:
    IMG_5802.jpeg

14. John Brunner

I would complain to EBay since it seems like he's drop-shipping from someone else. If a seller is not in possession of the product he advertises for sale, then he is in violation of EBay's seller policy.

15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Grandma's fruitcake, Omaha Nebraska best on the planet although quite pricey.