Pot Roast

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My wife was upstairs looking up a recipe for pot roast, and she got upset with me when I told her that pot roast was easy. Put the roast in a pan, put the pan in the oven, and let it cook a while, then cut up some potatoes, add them around all sides of the roast, and add some mushroom soup, salt, and pepper. I think she thought I was joking but that has always worked for me. Do they have recipes for pot roast? I know she doesn't like the idea that I don't pay a lot of attention to times and temperatures but, this time, I think she objected to the idea that I could cook a pot roast. My pot roast has always turned out good.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Well we had that tonight . Hubby throws in cast iron pot garlic and water. It was good but a tad over cooked tonight. I make mine different, but both are good. Maye she just likes having a recipe to go by, Ken

Faye Fox likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I suppose it is true that I tend to find one good way of preparing something and stick with that for the rest of my life.

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I just brown an untrimmed small well-marbled basic spice-seasoned roast in an olive oil treated skillet, then cover the skillet and let it cook on low for 4 to 6 hours depending on the size. It comes out gummer-friendly tender with the best flavor possible. I don't add beef broth but let it simmer in its own juices. I do potatoes and carrots separately. I found if all done together in a crock pot, the roast loses flavor. I prefer the small baby red potatoes and baby peeled carrots well-buttered right before serving.

Krystal Shay likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I usually braise a pot roast in a dutch oven on top of the stove. I simmer a 3-4 pound chuck roast with some onions, garlic, salt and pepper for a couple of hours till the roast is done, then I add potatoes and carrots to the pot and cook another 30 minutes or so. Sometimes I make a "Mississippi Pot Roast" in the crock pot.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Everybody’s version sounds tasty! I make a pot roast a few different ways. But whether I am making it in the oven, crockpot, or stove top, I always cut some slits in the roast and add some sliced garlic. I like garlic. When making it in a crockpot, I like to add a good tasting bottle beer. (Drunkin’ pot roast) No light crap or beer out of a can. I think beer has a tinny taste out of the can. Additional veggies added later after the roast is close to its destination.:D

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Or just buy seasoning bag at Walmart or any good chain store and stuff all that stuff into bag with the water and sit back for a heck of a good meal, with a good gravy. So simple a caveman can do it. :D

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  9. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

10. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We both like it, taste and ease of prep.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Many times I use Lipton onion soup mix and beef broth to cook roast. Tasty