Prayers Going Out For Mid-western, Southern States

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Denise Evans, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I am praying hard this morning for a lot of things, but mostly all the people effected by these storms in the US :( I was shocked to see the devastation this morning :( I just don't know what else to say, but maybe others will chime in.

Tony Page, Bobby Cole and John West like this.
  2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

3. Denise Evans

Registered

Thank you Ed, I think that's the video I saw but I'll check. Those folks in the nursing home, and all those at work for Amazon :( Just everyone involved, including the rescuers I'm praying hard for :(

Tony Page and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, tornados can be devastating. I remember, when I was in high school, the Palm Sunday tornados that ripped thru part of northeastern Indiana. My step-parents and I were at my cousins house when we heard about the tornado warning. We rushed home and started buttoning down things in the barn. The wind was really, really blowing. I thank God to this day that I wasn't any lighter in weight than I was, or........I'd been air-born!

A week or so later, we made a trip up to Michigan to see my step-mom's sister. Drove thru part of the area that was hit by a tornado and tops of trees completely gone. I had only seen damage like this on tv, not in person.

Praying for those folks that got hit last night.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Having not watched the news, I don't know what happened in the South and Midwest, although my brother posted a picture of a fair amount of snow a day or two ago. More than we've had here so far, anyhow. Today is a messy day in Maine, alternating between sleet and rain. We had tornadoes pretty much every summer when I lived in Michigan, and it wasn't at all uncommon to see them but, since it was a rural area, the chances of the tornado touching down on someone's house were low. I can only remember once, when a neighbor's barn was dismantled by a tornado, although his house was okay. I can remember another time when mom and dad got into an argument because dad told us we could still go camping, although there was a tornado. There had been several tornadoes that summer, and he said we can't live in the potato cellar all summer. I felt kind of bad about the argument, mostly because I rarely heard them argue, and this one was about me; of course, I still went camping. In my family, as long as one parent said it was okay, it was okay. When it came to money, mom was the easiest but, when it came to going somewhere, dad was the best choice.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Here is a youtube drone video that shows the devastation from the tornado touchdown that happened in Kentucky last night. The whole town seems like it was flattened. An interesting thing is that the streets seem clear. Either they didn’t get much stuff blown on them, or cleaning crews were able to get the roads clear right away.

When we had the bad tornadoes in this area a few years back. There were trees and power lines down everywhere. We didn’t even hear any sirens for at least 24 hours after the tornado, so we though that it must now have done too much damage.
    It was just that even emergency vehicles could not get anywhere close to where we lived (a different part of Huntsville than where we are at now, and a part that was right in the path of storms and tornadoes), and once they got the roads open enough, then we had sirens going for at least another day, as they were able to rescue people and get them to the hospital.

7. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes, I was going to send a video of some sort particularly on Mayfield, for @Ken Anderson thanks Yvonne ;)

8. Denise Evans

Registered

It's really devastating, I just listened to the full, press-briefing. I'll just share the video and there's an online address/URL for anyone that wants to donate. They had so many calls they had to set something up fast because they are trying to get people shelter before night-fall, which was a couple hours ago, more than that even ;(

Tony Page likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Some of my half brothers and sisters lived in Mayfield, Kentucky. I'm not sure if they still do, although I'm sure they're still in Kentucky. Since my dad's second family came along after I had moved to California and I've never been back except for visits, I don't know them very well, but I think that one of my other brothers would have let me know if anything happened to them. I'll check on that tomorrow. I actually know my step-sister better than I do the others because she was old enough for me to get to know her during visits, and we were in touch while I was still on Facebook.

10. Denise Evans

Registered

I hope they are safe Ken, I got to meet more of my family (my dad's first marriage) and just fell in love with all of them. I lost 2 of them since that meetup we had, and it was like I'd known them my whole life ;(

Bobby Cole and Tony Page like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

One of my half brothers came out here about fifteen years ago for a visit, so I got to meet his family. Until then, I hadn't seen him since he was a baby.

Tony Page and Denise Evans like this.
  12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I will join you in praying
    Seems like there's always some tragedy during the holidays.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    Denise Evans likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

My half-brother lives a few miles outside of Mayfield, Kentucky, and I have a half-sister who lives in Mayfield, but both are okay, as well as their families and homes. My older brother, who lives on a part of the property we grew up on (where the family dump was, actually) in the UP of Michigan, was hit with a bad snowstorm that knocked out his electricity. However, since my oldest brother has a home a few miles away, in Menominee, but winters in Florida, where he has a smaller home, my other brother is staying at his house until the power comes back on. So that's it as far as my family goes. Everyone else is fine.

Meanwhile, here in Maine, it felt like 70 degrees today, although I suspect it wasn't quite that warm.

Later...

Actually, it seems my sister wasn't at home when the storm hit. She's okay but not in Mayfield. I don't know about her home, yet.

14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The latest outbreak of bad weather is being touted as "unprecedented", but from what I can see, the same thing happened 10 years ago, in 2011, with twice the death toll and 4 times the property damage. Heavy snows and cold are predicted by some models for 25 states during the next two weeks. Solar cycles?

Ken Anderson and Tony Page like this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

Thank you Tony, yes, and year-round it seems like to.

Tony Page likes this.