Prices In 1972 K-mart Ad

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Tony Nathanson, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That probably was just before Nixon started our long love affair with inflation by removing metals as the basis of our currency. Thanks for pointing it out, @Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson and John Brunner like this.
  3. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Remember when being a millionaire was a dream? It won’t be long before that’s the typical goal for someone starting out. I remember thinking when I started working that if I could just make it to $10,000/year, I would be set for life. The dollar isn’t worth squat anymore and our “leaders” could not care less.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I graduated high school in 1972, and my first job was managing the beer & wine department of a Dart Drug, among my other duties. I was 3 years below the legal drinking age a the time. Budweiser would go on sale for $1.25 a 6 pak ($5 a case.)

Regarding inflation: If people would be satisfied never getting a raise, then there would be no cost pressure on prices. It's all relative.

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

The continual printing of money without backing by the federal reserve has nothing to do with the little people fighting for cost of living increases. It is a worldwide issue.
    Just as interest rates in the 70's were in the teens and now they have been effectively zero for a long time. The US had to keep them low to keep our debt to foreign nations lower.