Private Agendas & Trying Not To Be Too Annoying

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Ken Anderson, May 15, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Whether political, religious, or something else, many of us have agendas. I would like to encourage people to think for themselves rather than parroting the government, the media, or their favorite political party. That might be considered an agenda, and I bring it up from time to time because forum discussions are more interesting when they consist of people talking to people, rather than people quoting talking points or stuff that others have published somewhere.

Most of us probably feel strongly about something that not everyone else believes or accepts. Again, that could be a point of religion or politics, or it could be a distrust of the media or of the medical or scientific establishment. Conversely, it could also be a compulsion to believe everything you're told by the media or those who you accept as experts. That's fine. When it comes up, you should feel free to state your opinions, whatever they might be based on.

But please don't take threads off-topic in order to press your agenda. Please stop that.

To avoid pointing anyone out, at least for the moment, let's assume that you believe that the earth is flat. I don't care if you're the only person in the forum who believes that the earth is flat. You should feel free to start a thread about that topic and do your best to persuade the rest of us that the earth is flat. If you come across another thread that deals with the nature of the earth, it might be on-topic for you to post your evidence there, as well, as long as it doesn't duplicate whatever you said in the other thread.

But don't, please don't hijack countless threads about other peripherally related topics in order to bring them around to a discussion of the earth being flat. The SENIORSonly Club Forum does not exist for the sole purpose of giving you a platform to further your agenda. Don't turn this into a flat earth forum. If that's the only thing that you feel like talking about, start your own flat-earth forum. This forum is not for any one topic.

Categories have descriptions, as do sub-forums, and threads have topics. Please stop trying to turn every thread into a discussion of your personal agenda. I don't care what it is.

It would also help if you quit saying the same thing over and over again. At some point, you will have to concede that you made your point. We get it, and if we don't, we could look for a thread that is intended to discuss it.

I have strong opinions about a lot of things, but those things are not the only things that exist in the world. Please let this forum be about a whole host of things.

This is my attempt to be nice.

2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I certainly have opinions on many different things but don't believe I have used SO to promote any agenda---Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm too open minded to have an agenda.

Joe Smith and John Brunner like this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Perhaps Mrs. Smith needs a longer ruler. ;)

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Phew, that was close. I was about to copy / paste my opinion of the sex life of the Mexican Swamp Rat and post it on every single thread so everyone could know about my opinion of the Sex Life of the Mexican Swamp Rat. In a Swamp. In Mexico. Every thread, maybe, ...sometimes in Texas but only on Tuesdays and never on Sundays.

D'Ellyn Dottir and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I think that anyone who writes over 60 posts in a few hours, with no intelligent content, is literally spamming the forum.
    Just my opinion.

6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Who did that?

7. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

And also, what is "intelligent content" ? That which contributes to sinfulness, or that which (may) contribute to doing what is right ?

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I kinda know a Lady Di joke related to that, but I'm not familiar with this one.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

If it doesn’t contribute to the thread and the forum it’s spam, simple as that. No philosophical quandaries, no bs, no what if’s, just plain spam.
    If it goes off topic and shows a trend toward an agenda, it’s spam. If a poster repeats the same things over and over, either the poster is very forgetful or it’s an agenda ergo, spam.

Even the Master didn’t say the same things more than once to the same people. I get aggravated if my own wife whom I love very dearly asks or tells me the same thing more than once so I derned sure do not like it here.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  10. Jeff Elohim

Registered

She loves you.

Even if you do not realize or know or want what is best for you , she does.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

spam

Sunny Bonet and D'Ellyn Dottir like this.
  12. Jeff Elohim

Registered

I feel sad for you if you believe your wife's love for what is best for you is spam, or if you think other posters who care more for you than you do for yourself is spam.

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Forget it Jeff. Either you’re high or just plain do not get the whole point. What Ken and Yvonne are getting at is exactly what you are doing.
    You’re going way off topic to attempt to provide everyone with your own type of mental marketing and that’s called spam. A thing soooooo unliked that the person doing it is called a spammer which shoes you are fitting quite well.

Lighten up and join the crowd instead of trying to browbeat everyone into submission with the same thing over and over and over again. If you are not comfortable with doing that then maybe Ken was right when he told you to start your own forum and then you can write the same thing over and over until the cows come home.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I am glad you asked, @Jeff Elohim !
    Intelligent content is a post that relates to the the thread topic, AND also inspires other people to engage in more conversation and discussion about that topic.

As Ken said, an agenda-driving post does the exact opposite , and spams people away from that thread, and inhibits further conversation.

Intelligent content has nothing to do with sinfulness, unless that is the title of the thread.

15. Jeff Elohim

Registered

What about "Make Freedom Legal" ? (a phrase in your posts)

Is it better to allow you to remain a slave to some misconception(s) , or along with your wife to show the way to true freedom and health of mind, spirit and soul (and body?) , legally ?