Ranks In Religions

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Hal Pollner, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

The Catholic Church has the Pope, Cardinals, Bishops, Archbishops, Monsignors, Priests, etc, yet the Jewish Religion has only the Rabbi.

Why?

H.P.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not so my friend.
    Similar to Protestant churches in that each individual church has a pastor, it also has a board of elders and the board of deacons and each sect has a set of leaders as overseers as it is in each Jewish community within the Synagogue which has more than just the Rabbi in the leadership. @Steve North is our resident official on the subject and might shed a bit more light if he so chooses.

Here’s what was readily handy though.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_leadership

3. Hal Pollner

Registered

Thank you @Steve North for educating me on the historical structure of the offices of Judaism.

My Austrian grandfather was married to a Jewish Hungarian woman, so I guess that makes me 1/4 Jewish, yes?

If not, then I still must be a scion of the once powerful Austro-Hungarian Empire!
    Hal

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Just as there are a multitude of Protestant denominations, there are several arrangements among Protestant churches. Many of them are autonomous so, although there may be a denominational hierarchy made up of a president and board members, they're not really over any of the local churches. Most of the churches that I have been involved with have a pastor, a church president, a board of elders, and a deacon board. As the pastor is hired and fired by the board of elders (in some churches, by a vote of the membership), the pastor is the most visible head of the local church, but is actually a hired hand. Other than presiding over board meetings, the church president doesn't have a lot to do, while the power is in the board of elders, although the board of deacons is the busiest, with the possible exception of the pastor, because they are responsible for getting things done. Nevertheless, the reality in too many churches is that the real power will lie in the hands of a family or group of individuals who don't hold any offices or sit on any boards, but who everyone else is afraid of.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The United Methodist Church has a formal bureaucratic structure where decision are made far, far away.

The organization is generally governed by The Book of Discipline.

We've had a problem child pastor and the UMC Supervisor for our district told us that the congregants are on their own to resolve these issues. But we do not hire or fire our own pastors...that's done by HQ. The situation drug on for the longest time until loss of members ($$) forced the District to get involved.

The UMC likes to rotate pastors in and out so that they don't "go native;" in other words, if they become past of "us," then their ability to be spiritual leaders might diminish.

Being global, the issue of gay marriage is about to cause a major split in the church. This would already had come to a head had COVID not rescued them from some painful conferences.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Hal Pollner

Registered

That's all over my head, but thanks! o_O

Harry