Real Tired or Retired?

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Bobby Cole, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I used to think that I was retired but now I am finding out that I am getting real tired. I really can't say for sure why the "re" is in front of "tired" to begin with. When each day goes by and then night sets in I get tired. As in *sleepy.* Since I am not sure how tired I was the night before I cannot compare tonight with last night. If I could maybe I could just say, I'm re-doing last night, or maybe, I am going to re-sleep but definitely not re-tire. I can only get so tired at one time and having a redo is too much for me. One time and that's it. If I have to redo something it means I didn't do it right the first time and after all of these years and practice I assure one and all that I know how to tire really really well and I refuse to do something over that I already do perfectly!!

Teresa Levitt and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Yea put me on the tired list. Do we ever get to really retire? Isn't that when they load your carcass into a box?

Doesn't it bother you Bobby Cole that you cannot recall the night before last? Maybe senility is setting in? or maybe it was just a very good night?

Sadly I must be doing life wrong because I seem to get to re-do the same things over and over again. Seems like I am forever washing the same dishes and driving the same car down the same road. Except when I am dreaming and the car is doing all sorts of weirdness but thats for another thread. :oops: Yea but doing.... can get mundane can't it?

Maybe we just need to do the dew?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

It sounds like we are getting the winter dulldromes. I seem to have some of that same thing same place blues also at times. Spring is on the way and we will all be out in the fresh air glad that it is a new day.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We don't do spring here in Maine. We go from winter, to mud season, to summer, fall, and back to winter. When we moved into our home in Millinocket in early April of 2001, we didn't know that there was an abandoned car in the back yard, as it was completely covered by snow.

5. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

When I first retired and moved to Thailand, I would make a daily agenda and follow it to a tee! But after about six months I realized that I was "free" to spend my years doing what I want and when I want. No more agenda and I even gave my watch away. It is either day or night in my life and I enjoy every minute of it. One of my friends reminded me that retired does not mean "putting four new tires" on my life!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Hi, Richard and welcome to our Senior's forum. I have read some of your stories before, and i am looking forward to reading more of them here on the forum.
    I think that you totally have the right idea about retirement, we can do what we have always wanted to do and never had time before we retired.
    We are pretty well living on day-to -day decisions, too. Although , the dogs DO wake us (or at least Bobby) up early in the morning when they need to go outside; but except for that , we can usually set our own schedules.

7. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Yvonne! So nice to see you again! Yes, retirement is fun for me and always exciting. I never know what is going to happen each day! Thanks for enjoying some of my stories. I have about 30 of them now and thinking about making a blog, but to be honest, I am too lazy! If there is a place here, I will share them.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I’m tired! I hate that I don’t have the energy that I use to have. I don’t know if it is because I have become lazy or what. I still do the same things I have always done; cook, clean, wash, iron clothes, etc., but I am tired and DONE after just a few of these chores. I just can’t get motivate most days to do much of anything.

9. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A few decades ago, continuing, it was revealed that sugar causes tiredness, and memory loss, as well as diab and other troubles.

In a totally different direction, In the Good Book "Fit For Life" by the diamonds, a lot of simple healthy tips are presented, proven long before and proven over and over again every day.

He admits not everyone ever tries all of the suggestions,
    but noted ONE that made a difference in those who did it.
    From the first wake in the morning,
    breakfast thru lunch,
    eat or drink ONLY FRUIT or real fruit juice ( food or liquid with NO added sugars etc), and distilled water (no tap water - it causes its own troubles short and long term).

Within 3 to 5 days, MORE ENERGY is available, totally naturally , just from THIS ONE CHANGE.

10. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have been a pretty mindful eater through out the decades. I don't drink soda or any sweetening drinks, or very very rarely, if I do. We have a built in water purifier that we drink and cook from. I know there is always room for improvement. I think I'm mostly tired because I'm just older.:D

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

How about that British thing of being “redundant”. You work your tail off to get that gold watch and find out that you’re superfluous, unnecessary, not needed, useless…redundant.
    I’m old and tired and retired to boot but the view that I’m somehow redundant isn’t an attractive state to be in at all.

Well, to think about it, Commercial kitchens don’t want me because of my age, the Army won’t let me re-enlist and none of the civil servant jobs will talk to me.
    The only reason why folks call on me to do the handyman stuff is because they know that I’m cheap and if I raised my prices then they’d surely pick someone younger and more virile looking. Along that same vein, it’s not like I’m the only one who knows how to screw in a lightbulb around our house.

Heck, it’s been over a month since I had a call to tell me the warrantee on my vehicle is expired or my student loan payment is late and when those people think you’re no longer a viable source for some nefarious skullduggery then yeah, maybe I do fit into that superfluous niche.

Ya know, to think further there IS for sure one entity that truly believes in my usefulness: My primary health care doctor.

12. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i am always trying to figure out..."what did i do to be so tired?"
    my husband says it takes us all day to do what we used to do all day...that makes me tired even figuring that out....now...I'm tired from typing!

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

LOL……The true saying goes…….What we once did all day now takes us all day to do once.
    It’s actually a kind of tongue in cheek thing which kinda works in your favor if you get my drift.

14. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

well...since i don't catch on to much....i'll just leave that there...ha!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have always been good at napping and since I have always been a bum, doing what I wanted, I am not technically retired if I am no longer working full time. I guess I am just confused.

Bobby Cole likes this.