Reen's Allsorts

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Reen Davis, Dec 24, 2022.

1. Reen Davis

Reen Davis Well-Known Member
    Registered

Have been pondering whether or not to start this for the past week. As I got some good news
    today I thought it would be an ideal item to start with, so finally decided to give it a go.
    As the title suggests - no fixed topic, just a mix of 'allsorts' ( but without the liquorice !) :)
    Probably won't be a regular daily as far as news goes - my life isn't that exciting - but hopefully will
    be able to post something on a reasonably regular basis.

So to start, a few weeks ago I went to Specsavers for a 'long overdue' (partly due to covid), hearing test.
    I was told I would be given new stronger aids and would be contacted when they were ready..
    Good News - just had a phone call today and appointment booked for Sun 8 Jan - apparently they
    sometimes work Sundays ! Just hope the bus drivers don't come out on strike ! :D

Other news - I sent my landlord a text wishing him and his wife a happy Christmas.
    Got a reply - he is currently recovering from a broken collar bone - 5 broken ribs and a punctured lung !
    and said that he really appreciated my message. I asked how it happened - he said a mountain bike
    accident.! I never thought riding mountain bikes could be so dangerous ! :eek:

Have a great day tomorrow everyone :)

2. Reen Davis

Registered

Just back from Christingle service at village church and it was full - apparently for the first time in 3 years
    for this service.
    Apparently the church used to be well attended before covid struck but since then it seems people haven't
    returned as it is always quiet when I've gone on the Sundays I've managed to get there.
    I suppose people just got out of the habit of going after so long. Such a shame the effects covid have had.

Another problem I think though is that they stopped the 10.30 am service on Sundays and just kept the very
    early one they have before it. I think perhaps for some people- me included- the earlier one is too early for them to get there.
    Once a month they do have a later service, but it's not like the 'normal' one.

Anyway I'm glad I got there this evening - got me wondering too - do churches in other countries have Christingle services ?.

Krystal Shay likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had to look the word up. We do candlelight services on Christmas Eve (I went to one tonight.) I've been to a few Moravian Christmas Eve services on this side of the pond (there's a contingent in North Carolina) and there were no Christingles there...in the sense of using decorated oranges as candle holders.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The Moravians started the candlelight services, but the Methodists also picked it up from them. I assume other denominations have picked it up as well.

5. John Brunner

I've never seen or heard of Christingles in the sense of a candle (Jesus, the light of the world) stuck in an orange (the world) that's wrapped with a red ribbon (the blood of Jesus) and has dried fruits/sweets on toothpicks (fruits of the earth/the 4 seasons) stuck in it.

[​IMG]

Don Alaska and Reen Davis like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The Covenant Church that I attended as a child had a Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, but they also had a 4:00 am Christmas Morning Service, and I think most people chose one or the other, but not both. We did the 4:00 am one. I don't know, but they probably don't anymore, at least in that particular church, because there are very few members now. The sanctuary used to be packed during services, with loudspeakers on the outside for those who couldn't find a seat or preferred to be outside. Being outside for church service was never an option for me, as a child.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
  7. John Brunner

@Reen Davis: Your thread has officially been hijacked! (You can drop us off at Havana ;))

I forgot to ask you if your Christingle service includes the Christingle I posted (orange, etc), or if "Christingle" is how you generically refer to any Christmas Eve candlelight service, even if it is sans citrus.

Reen Davis likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Probably because most of us don't know what a Christingle is so we're discussing the closest thing we do know about.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

It's an interesting thing because my British mother always put an apple, an orange, some nuts and a dime in our Christmas stocking, along with the balsa wood gliders. There are lots of theories (and tales) over how oranges became a stocking tradition. But their global availability does not go back all that far, making one wonder how they came to serve in this role for this denomination since before the world wars (although I read that rutabagas were used when oranges were not available.)

10. Ken Anderson

I never considered it to be a religious thing but, growing up in the UP of Michigan, pretty much the only time that we had oranges and tangerines available in the stores was around Christmas time. Stores then, at least in small towns and rural areas, stocked mostly local produce. Bananas were an exception; for some reason, we always had bananas in the store. At any rate, I grew up associating oranges with Christmas for that reason.

11. Reen Davis

Registered

Yes our Christingle service does include the Christingle you posted.
    I'm not sure how other churches do the service - but at the one last night, most of the service
    was 'not' candle lit - only a short part when the Christingle candles are lit, then when they are
    blown out - the lights come back on again for the rest of the service.

Another church I was part of many years ago had a Lessons and Carols service
    and if my memory serves me right - I'm almost certain that was a completely candle lit service.

Highjacked thread ?- never - I appreciate that people want to take part in it - gives
    me more time to think of what else I can put in here :D

12. John Brunner

The service last night was the same way. I think it's probably concern over accidental arson. The ushers lit the candle of the person siting on the aisle, who then passed it on. The pastor gave detailed instructions to a room full of adults on how to do this safely...twice (I guess we are not getting smarter as a peoples.) Then as soon as the rush of holding fire inside a building set in, we had to put it out.

Don Alaska and Reen Davis like this.
  13. Reen Davis

Registered

@John Brunner - sorry for delayed reply - seems the more threads I get involved in,
    the harder it is to keep track of who I have replied to !

I found myself constantly checking I had the candle in a properly upright position !
    I suppose another reason for not having them lit too long is that they can be re-used the next year !
    Although, those used this year were all 'new' ones. :D

14. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

On Christmas Eve, as everyone entered the church, we would be handed a small candle that had been poke through a circular piece of cardboard or heavy paper. The paper was to prevent hot candle drips on your hands, as we held the lit candles. Sometime during the service we would sing Silent Night, and that is when the candles would be lit and the church lights turned off. (Like John said in his post,"The ushers lit the candle of the person siting on the aisle, who then passed it on." ) After the song, we blew the candles out and the ushers came by and collected the candles.

I thought it was so magical when I was little. The church smelled of the fresh Christmas tree and all the sacks of goodies for all the Sunday school kids and (guest children) under the tree to be handed out after the service. The sacks had lots of shelled peanuts, an orange and apple, and small chocolate bar and sometimes a tiny little wrapped gift.

15. John Brunner

You won't offend anyone here if you don't always reply, Reen. None of us do. There's no way to stay on top of it all.

Regarding church candles...I imagine there have been a number of older churches lost to candles and fireplaces, but one would think the risk is minimal these days. You may as well remove hymnals so as to prevent paper cuts.

Reen Davis and Don Alaska like this.