Religions, Philosophies, Or Whatever

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Silvia Benoit, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

I never talk religion; fairy tales never interested me.

John Houlihan likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh boy, here we go again! Then again, there are a lot of folks that don't believe in any kind of religion. Sure glad that's not us!

Not meaning to change this thread, but, there was a young lady, and her boyfriend, that lived above us. She had a Pagan sign (octagon type) put on the side window of her SUV, along with 666 in Roman Numerals right below it. Seeing it made us very "queezy", but they moved out two weeks ago. We feel much more comfortable now.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Cody, we have lots of paganism in mainstream religions today too, being a bit of an armature history buff, I dug a lot deeper into religions than most do.
    None of our 'Christian' religious holidays are based on the Bible but rather on some pretty evil pagan practices.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, being that both wife and I are Christians, and read our individual Bibles, mine being a Men's Bible w/Daily Devotions, all we can think of to say is the old saying, "whatever".

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Silvia, I misread your post, lol. I don't consider religion a fairy tale's but books of history, faith and in some cases knowledge.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There is some truth to that but I rarely do something because of the negative reasons someone applies to them or did them.
    Bathing used to be considered unhealthy by some groups, eating tomatoes was sinful and even celebrating a birthday was rooted in paganism. I do no care. I take a shower every night, eat a ton of tomatoes and wish folks a happy birthday when I think of it.
    I celebrate Christ every day and even more so on those days that we’ve set aside to commemorate His birth, crucifixion and resurrection. Nothing more, nothing less.

Most certainly, to celebrate a Christian value rather than it’s pagan roots shows me that Christ won that battle. (fade in the music to “Victory in Jesus”)

But back to the OP.
    Simply put, yes. Learning isn’t an option. A couple trillion synapses occurring every second in our brain, we’re going to learn something.
    That said, I truthfully enjoy spreading out a bit and finding out that which I did not know as well as gaining more knowledge about the things I do know and looking forward to that time when I pass from this earth and am given all the answers I want. .

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

True, it wasn't the Book that did this, it was man who high-jacked the writings.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Whether or not celebrating Christ is a Biblical precept isn’t the issue. Perhaps if you wish to carry the conversation further, you might wish to start a thread in the Religion section instead of us high jacking this thread.

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Ok I may do that if you promise to mellow and stop playing mod. Bobby if I did that it may make some people mad at me 'again'.
    Now you made me forget what the thread was about.:oops::D

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I, for one, love fairy tales. They are so interesting.

11. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Dear, the example you mentioned are those of religion / cult; to compare Atheists (myself) with those people is an insult to us and shows your lack of knowledge on the subject.
    The difference between we Atheists and believers is that " we don't care if you believe or not and, most certainly, don't attempt to change other people's minds." Good bye.

Mary Stetler and John Houlihan like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Did y'all know that many fairy tales came from Bible verses or challenges like the Jews had?
    Rign around the roses was about the Jews during the Holocaust, they put roses in their pockets to identify who they were to other Jews, or that's what I read.
    Where you going Silvia? I don't care what you believe. Hope you feel the same about us who do believe in a higher power. Don't leave.

13. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Silvia, many atheists believe in reincarnation. Many don't but there is no contradiction here because reincarnation does not depend on the existence of God. For instance, the Buddha did not believe in God but believed in reincarnation. Do you believe in reincarnation?

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

Reminds me of a 6 60s movie' Goodbye Charlie', did you see it? A comedy about reincarnation., Debbie Renalds, Tony Curtis

Lois Winters likes this.
  15. Silvia Benoit

Registered

As far as I know Buddhism and Hinduism are not religions but philosophies (way of thinking / life).
    I am an Atheist since birth, born to a family that is Atheist for generations -as far as grand parents on one side and great grandparents on the other...I belong to Atheists groups here and in my other country. PK? I never heard an Atheist believing in reincarnation.