Remembering "bos"

Discussion in 'People I Have Known' started by Boris Boddenov, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Met Dave Boswell in HS and became buddies. Recall several times "hooking" school with him and hanging out at malls which were called "shopping centers" in the early 60s.

He excelled at baseball, and fistfighting, the latter discipline learned in the Police Boys club. He could run like a deer but never got involved in other sports.

He signed with the Minnesota Twins and in 1969, was a 20-game winner for them. The reason I mentioned fistfighting is because, if you followed baseball at that time, you may recall that in that same '69 season, he got into it with his manager, the pugnacious Billy Martin after beating up Martin's pitching coach, Art Fowler.

I read Billy's auto bio later and he said that it was the closest he came to being knocked out. What saved him, (according to Martin) was the fact that he grabbed Boswell's neck medallion -- quite a popular ornament at the time -- and pulled Bos toward him while his head cleared. (I suspect that in reality, Martin had help from one of his buddies.) After retiring, when asked about the facts, Bos wouldn't respond.

He spent 8 yrs. in the big time and then worked for a Baltimore brewery. His son died tragically and Bos never fully recovered from that loss. He passed at age 67.

Souhan: Boswell was a character as well as a competitor - StarTribune.com