Rentals

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Joanna Newton, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The answers may vary from state to state, but I haven't been able to get any information.
    Current landlord is "all about" what he can "get away with," so I'm hoping someone here has input.

I've lived here through 3 different landlords.
    Paid security deposit directly to first landlord, and pet deposit to second landlord's manager.
    When I move out, should I expect security deposit to be returned to me? and as my pet died recently, should I get my pet deposit back? None of my leases addressed these topics.

When the first landlords sold the place, tenants were told everything would be transferred to the new (second) owner.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Years ago, when I first moved to California in the 1970s, and lived in apartments, it was pretty much a given that no one ever got their security deposit back, but California passed a law requiring a return of the deposit unless the reasons could be documented for withholding it. Fairness would dictate that it should be returned unless you have done something that would warrant withholding it, but I don't know how this works these days. The last couple of times that I rented an apartment, in Fort Kent, Maine, and in Fayetteville, North Carolina, our deposit was returned, but I don't know whether that's the standard these days.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I gotta think that when you buy a business, you buy the liabilities, but real estate (residential and commercial) is always different.

There are Tenant/Landlord Commissions in most every state. Just for your own peace of mind so you can stop wondering, call the one in Iowa and ask. It might not be the answer you want, but you'll know what the existing landlord is legally bound to do in that state (the regs may even be county-level.) Now, the absence of such obligation won't necessarily stop you from asking for a refund. ;) I would. Always give folks the chance to do the right thing.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

oh....I don't know about that rent agreement stuff....I only saw your beloved pet died....I am sorry that you have to go thru the loss..
    I recently lost my little love too

Joanna Newton likes this.
  5. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm no lawyer but it seems to me if you are presented with a rental agreement and you want something clarified like return deposits then ask the landlord to put it in the agreement before you sign it, if they do not want too that should give you your answer.

6. Janice Lynne

Janice Lynne Well-Known Member
    Registered

It's legally mandated in some states that the deposit be deposited in an interest-bearing account by the landlord, and returned fully to the tenant when they leave. Of course if the landlord doesn't tell the tenant about that account, or cooks up some reason to keep the deposit, the question is moot.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Joanna Newton

Registered

Yes, that's what I heard somewhere along the line.

Re: pet deposits- none of the leases nor manager I paid it to said it was non-refundable.

8. Joanna Newton

Registered

Thank you.
    Kitty was with me for 12 years, her illness came on suddenly and by the time I could get her to a vet it was too late. I've been totally devastated.

P.S. I hope my question about deposit didn't seem cold-blooded- I just mean if I could get it back it'd help me repay the person who assisted with the vet bills.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Teresa Levitt likes this.
  9. Joanna Newton

Registered

Thanks for this info. I'll see if I can find something like that.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

here in georgia if the rental is left clean and nothing broken you will get your deposit back

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Pet Deposit is different than Cleaning Deposit. If a resident never owns a pet while living in an apartment, Pet Deposit is never charged and so, would be never refunded.

Joanna Newton and Betty Jones like this.