Replacing Lawnmower Carburetor

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Von Jones, Oct 21, 2022.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Okay, any lawnmower gurus here that can help me get this carburetor off. I've watched so many Youtube videos that make it seem so easy. I have all but bent it off out of frustration.:confused:o_O:(

20221021_carbuerator.jpg

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It looks like you have the bolts out. All I can see from this angle is you have to take the spring off (use pointed pliers).
    The rod that is connected to the choke is L shaped so you have to lift the front of the carb up and the rod should slide right out.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]
    Got it off! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Great and you’re most certainly welcome !!
    Are you going to try to clean it or just order another one from Amazon? On some of them from Amazon, they’ll come with a new spark plug, air and gas filters and fuel lines for not much more than $25.

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Definitely replace it and the fuel and air lines. I poked a hole in the fuel line and the air line was split when I took off the filter. They felt kind of spongy to me. I ordered the carburetor from Ebay that was listed in the search. The gaskets, air filter were okay, a new spark plug.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You go, girl!

I believe @Nancy Hart recently went through a similar ordeal with a string trimmer engine. You getting it fixed up before storing it for the winter?

Faye Fox and Von Jones like this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I am. Today has been a good day to tackle getting the carburetor off. Temp in the 70s.

Bobby Cole, Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That weather is heading my way. I've been out stacking firewood in 35°F-40°F temps just because it needed to be done. Next week I'll be on my tractor for some final field prep before the chilly sets in.

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Good luck with the carb replacement. I have always rebuilt them and a few years ago when my MDJ ? with Honda motor had carb problems, I assessed it for wear and determined that the drive, wheels, etc., were so worn I didn't want to invest in a carb. I bought a new Husky and have been happy ever since.

I know that is not the DIY story you might have thought I was posting, but my old age has me being less of a fix-it girl and more of a "Yes, I will take that one," and then when ask if I need help loading I say, "Why yes, just load it up in the back their boys." I do the securing with the ratchet straps so no one thinks I have lost my edge. I put my ramps on the tailgate and then I moseyed around until the middle-aged neighbor guy gets orders from his wife to go help that poor old lady. I still do my own lawn mowing and while not super happy about it, it makes me happier than paying a lot of money weekly for a lousy job.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

With renters using equipment, I went through tractors as fast as I changed socks. When my daughter moved in I bought a new Husky because it has a three year guarantee. (uh huh) and she will take care of it. I used to buy crap mowers from a dealer in the next town who bought them at auction and then put them together with duct tape. They lasted a while and didn't cost much. I may be too old for them now.

11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I would still try to clean the old carburetor and use it if at all possible, if it is all metal. The newer ones may have plastic parts and may not fit perfectly. If carburetor cleaner won't work, try soaking it in vinegar. Only if it is rusted at the moving parts or in the tiny holes would I give up on an old one now.

12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

It was all metal and so rusty I didn't want to bother with it besides I lost the pin that holds the float and could never find it. I did find another carburetor - all metal and same part number.

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Just as a hack for whenever, a clipped off shaft of a worn out small Dremel bit works sometimes when carburator pins get lost.
    A couple of years ago it seemed like I was working on some small engine for myself and whomever for the entire summer so I had to find a fix for lost pins. Needle valves are another story but the pins are an easy fix.
    2nd hack. Some small parts like float pins are magnetic. When working with small screws, bolts (and pins), have a magnet hanging around to keep the parts in check.

Von Jones likes this.
  14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole

Help! My new carburetor arrived and I'm stuck at getting it on. This part popped off from somewhere.

20221028_114004.jpg

I'm guessing from here.

20221028_114020.jpg

My efforts of twisting and turning this part around to make it fit like before have been frustrating. I've watched Youtube but no help on how to put this part back on right.

20221028_113803.jpg

15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Models of mowers can be a lot different from each other. Maybe find the model number for your lawn mower and start searching for carburetor linkage photos? Closest # you can find might be the same. You're on the right track I think.

Von Jones likes this.