Replacing Toilets And Other Upkeep

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Marie Mallery, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

They make a wax ring to go between the bottom of the toilet and the floor. You need to clean off the old goop from both toilet and floor and maybe 'prime' the floor with some of the old stuff to insure a good seal ... nothing hard about it except maybe for lining up the bolt holes in the bottom flange of the toilet with the bolts coming up from the floor as you drop the toilet back in place. I've never had a callback.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It was not available in Bolivia.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We've been RVing for years and never heard of anyone using Rid-X in an RV black tank. If a tank is maintained properly with plenty of water added, no chemicals of any kind are necessary.

Rid-X does work great in septic tanks, however. My husband uses it to maintain the septic system at his mother's rural home.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We live in the oldest part of town where some of the sewer pipes are made of clay. After some plumbing problems, most of which had to do with the horrible stuff that previous tenants of what was then a 3-unit apartment building had been flushing down the toilet, one of our plumbers sent the camera down and found that we have clay sewer pipes running from our yard to where it hooks up with the town sewer system, underneath the street, and a small portion of it is crumbling. Although there is plenty of room for waste to pass through, toilet paper tends to get caught on the crumbling portion, sometimes causing waste to back up in the line.

The fix would involve, according to him, tearing up a portion of our foundation, the front yard, and one lane of the street passing in front of our house. Since the street is also a state road and the main route to the hospital, we'd have to pay for flagmen and, of course, for that portion of the street to be torn up, all at a cost of several thousand dollars.

I tried flushing some grapeseed extract down the toilet but that didn't seem to help much.

Given that we only paid $14,500 for the house, that wasn't something that we were in the position to do. Given that the sewer pipes all along this street are almost certain to be made of clay, this is something that might eventually become the recipient of a grant or bond proposal to improve the sewer system in the old part of town, at which time the town will pick up the largest portion of the costs.

There is also the possibility that we'll both die of old age before it becomes absolutely necessary for this to be corrected. Meanwhile, we are using one-ply toilet paper and we run Rid-X or, what seems to work better, a product called Green Gobbler Main Drain Opener, sometimes, when we're going to be away from home for a few days since that gives it time to work. It's been at least ten years since we've had a problem with our sewer.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Amway used to have an enzyme product for drains and septic tanks that worked great. I do not know if they still have it, but there are probably other similar things. A really simple way to get that necessary bacteria and enzymes down into the drain and septic tank is to put a container of plain active-culture yogurt down the drain at night so it can work before being flushed out unless it is supposed to just go to the septic tank.

When I lived in Missouri, I had a pond that was set up like a septic tank. It worked fine, never smelled at all, and I just put some enzymes down it once a month or so, and they kept everything smelling fresh.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Disneyworld in Florida uses a pond to fulfill the same purpose, @Yvonne Smith. It was celebrated for their eco-friendly approach to sewage treatment for many years. I don't know if that system is still in place however.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I used to go RV'ing and I always saw it for sale in RV stores. I 1st heard of it in an RV magazine.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Waste of money. An RV holding tank is not a septic system, and this type of bacterial action may not be the best option for an RV holding tank that doesn’t hold waste for long periods of time.

So, is Rid-X safe for your RV tank (or portable RV dump tank, if you don’t have access to a dump station)? Sure.

Is it necessary to use (or even effective when used) in an RV holding tank that holds waste for short periods of time before dumping? Nope.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

http://www.aboutrving.com/rv-topics/toilet-chemicals-for-rvs/

".....Rid-X for your RV’s Black and Grey Tank
    We have a 56-gallon-each black and grey tank in our motorhome. We use two capfuls of liquid Rid-X in the black tank and one capful in the grey tank. These are carefully measured. Please note that frequently, what smells like a sewer odor is actually coming from the grey tank. In the eight-plus years we have been using Rid-X consistently, we have eliminated virtually all odors. Use the Rid-X liquid, not the crystal stuff—it’s too difficult to measure an amount that small in the crystal form.... ... ..."

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm learning from you guys' posts. What I gather is that an RV tank is basically a holding tank to be flushed and freshened as needed, while a septic tank is an ongoing biological process of breakdown of toxins. So the Ridx stuff isn't needed in the RV (but does no harm) while it helps accelerate the natural processes going on in a septic tank. Have I got it about right?

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Exactly.

12. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have found that Rid-X not only helps prevent clogging of an RV black water holding tank, it also prevents bad odors. Though, I did not need it for the grey water holding tank.

When traveling, I always flushed/empty the black and grey tanks before heading out on the road. That way, I did not need to haul excess weight.

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I think @Jeff Elohim has the answer and it began with confusion over Rid-X products. Here is the Rid-X that Jeff was talking about and is probably a similar thing to what he posted. Different product and different purpose. I think the RV product just maintains the system and makes it more pleasant/less unpleasant to dump the black tank.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

We always start out with clean tanks, but always put a couple of inches of clean water back into the black tank after dumping. That way we avoid the "pyramid of doom" from forming in a dry tank with solids. People put all kinds of stuff in their black and gray tanks; we have just never needed to do so. We have a Vacuflush toilet system that "macerates" solids and we keep the tanks clean.

Don Alaska likes this.