Resurrecting Old Threads

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by May Benot, Feb 3, 2018.

1. May Benot

May Benot Veteran Member
    Registered

So, as a newbie here, perusing old threads ... I 'm interested in 'what happened next' ( nosey old bugger) but refrained from posting as I don't want to risk offending or causing upset to anyone ... I 'm only too aware that people and circumstances can change dramatically over a couple of years.
    Is it better to start a new thread on same subject? ... it's just that on one particular thread ( relationships) there are posts of how people met, along with a bit of biography etc. and it sort of makes sense ( imho) to continue the dialogue

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Sure, start a new thread and if it's relevant still to an older thread it can always be merged if necessary... but as you say things change sometimes dramatically over a few years..so by all means go ahead start a new one.. no harm done if it can safely be merged...

May Benot likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is from a previous post that I made, and I still feel this way.

May Benot and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. May Benot

May Benot Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson ... yes, I understand ... on another forum I visit they discourage new ( same subject) threads and have a 'search function" which directs one to related topics, however, as the threads I'm referring to involve personal experiences of some members who are still regular posters, I'm hesitant to bring them back in case circumstances have changed... eg. former 'friends' may now detest each other ( it happens) or Elvis may have left the building, so to speak ..
    Anyway, I may or may not start another along the same theme ..que sera,sera ...

5. Ken Anderson

You should be able to find old thread topics through our search function as well, and I really can't imagine any reasonable objections over posting to an older thread. I think most people enjoy being introduced to things discussed a year or two ago, or having the excuse to revisit them. We may have disagreements, but I believe that detestations are rare here, or at least temporary.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. May Benot

May Benot Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes well, I certainly enjoy reading them ... particularly interested in how one lady got on with her new date ( in 2015) lol! ....

Yvonne Smith and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Registered

By all means ask away...some people might not even be here any longer ... :D

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

For the benefit of those who are new here, please feel free to resurrect old threads if you see a topic that you'd like to continue. Some of those who were involved in the older thread may no longer be with us, in the forum or even alive, but others may want to join in. I would prefer an old thread continue than to have a new thread on the same topic, but I am not going to get upset about it either way. It's easy enough to merge two threads if that seems to be the thing to do.

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Here's a project for anyone who wants to participate. Over the next few days, find a thread from 2015 or 2016, on a topic that you have an interest in, and see if you can resurrect it, not only by making one post to it but seeing if you can encourage others to reply to your post. I'll never understand why some forum administrators don't like people posting to old threads. I don't see a downside.

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

It's true , just about every forum I've been on the admin hates old threads being resurrected, so I think we all have it in our brains to start new threads if we don't see the topic in the first few pages...

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

For SEO purposes, it's better to have long threads on a specific topic than several small ones, and that also lets us make use of the thoughts of people who may no longer with us anymore, either no longer a part of the forum or no longer in the world of the living. Besides, I like doing things differently.

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

Makes sense to me....

13. Ken Anderson

We have had a lot of new registrations over the past months, but quite a few of our new members aren't taking part in the discussions. This is one thing that you might not be used to if you're coming here from another forum but, in this forum, it's okay to resurrect an old thread. Please feel free to resurrect old threads if you want to. I'd rather you post to an old thread than start a new thread on an old topic. It's not a big deal either way, though. We can easily merge threads later, if it comes to that.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Ken Anderson

Given that we have had a lot of new registrations lately, I think it's time to bump this thread, given that this policy differs from most other forums. Most forum administrators hate it when people resurrect old threads that no one has posted in for a long time. To the contrary, if you have something to say about something that's been discussed here before, I don't care if the last post was four years ago, I'd rather you post in the existing thread than start a new one. As long as you recognize that not everyone who was involved in the early discussion is still with us, here in the forum or, in the case of a few people, here on earth, I would much rather have one long thread than several short ones about the same subject.

On the other hand, while I strongly encourage you to do a search to see if we already have a thread on a topic that you want to talk about before starting a new one, no one is going to be upset with you if you start a thread about something we already have a thread for. We might merge the two threads, but that's not so hard of a job.

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.