Resurrection: Ertugrul

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by John Houlihan, Sep 10, 2022.

1. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Have you watched the TV series called "Games of Thrones"? So have 14 million other people. That's a lot of people.

Have you watched "Resurrection Ertugrul"? If you have, you know how incredibly great it is. If you have not watched it, you may want to check it out. Why? Because over 1 BILLION people have watched it. That's about 12% of the world's population! Unlike Game of Thrones, Resurrection Ertugrul is a historical drama based on the life of a real hero called Ertugrul.

I watched the TV series about two years ago and watched again about 1 year ago. It is probably the best TV series I have ever seen. After I got through the first few episodes, I became addicted and watched nothing else on TV. I was very sorry to see it end after five seasons. But I'll be watching it again soon.

Ertugrul reminds me of when I was a kid back in the 1930s. The big deal for me was the Saturday movie matinee. It usually had a short serial where the hero would get into an impossible situation at the end of the episode. Then, I would have to wait for next Saturday to see how the hero got out of his mess. Ertugrul is like that. I was always looking forward to the next episode.

The only thing I did not like initially about Ertugrul were the subtitles. These are usually a turn-off for me. However, after watching a few episodes, the subtitles became a non-issue because the episodes were totally immersive.

All five seasons of Resurrection Ertugrul are on Netflix. If you start watching it, please let know what think about it.

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

That is one I'll have to pass on, I can't take a lot of violence. I left the room when hubby watched Saving Private Ryan,:)

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You are so right about the violence. I should have mentioned it because there are many bloody battles, even beheadings! But it was the 13th century when Genghis Kahn and the mongols were overrunning Asia and Europe. So, it was inevitable that the hero Ertugrul would have many battles with the Mongols, the Crusaders, and other Turkish beys. Incidentally, Ertugrul paved the way for his son Osman to found the mighty Ottoman empire. What I also like a lot about the TV series is all the different characters that I came to love, revere, despise, and so on. The development of the different characters covers the range of human goodness and not-so-good. Reminds me a lot about the characters in a Charles Dickens story.