Roach Burgers

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Scott Laughlin

Scott Laughlin Active Member
    Registered

Your description of hours of operation reminded me of a Paris, France Catholic Bakery I read about in the New Yorker. The author of a food column traveled there to judge this bakery for his column, but when he arrived it was always closed. Finally, after repeated visits he learned that a hole opened in the convent wall at 2 AM. His source told him to Be There. Indeed, at 2 sharp a hole opened and in 30 minutes they were sold out and the hole closed. I don't recall what he thought of their product.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I was stationed at McGuire AFB in N.J. I found a roach in my chile that looked just like a chile bean but had legs. I put it aside and finished the chile. I was young and hungry.

Had raw ground beef in Germany once at the urging of a friend stationed there. It was actually on the menu and what wasn't sold that day had to be thrown out by law.

Frank Sanoica and Scott Laughlin like this.
  3. Scott Laughlin

Scott Laughlin Active Member
    Registered

While stationed at Beale three of us were in the chow hall on a Sunday evening - cold cuts and/or meatloaf. One of the guys held up a mouse foot and leg with his fork. We checked and we each had parts of it. Thirty years would pass before I could tolerate meatloaf.

Before dawn at Charleston the cook was frying eggs to order when a chicken skidded across the grill.

Who knows what else happened when we weren't looking?

Ed Wilson and Frank Sanoica like this.