Rodeo And Praying

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, if this thread needs to be moved over to the Rodeo forum, please do it.

I've noticed that a prayer is being done, before the National Anthem, at different rodeos we have watched on the Cowboy Channel. Either the rodeo announcer will say it or a contestant.

Now, of all of the rodeos wife and I have been to, even when I was in the arena back in the mid 80's/early 90's, no prayer was ever done. And, as far as I know, no prayer is said before each performance of the National Finals Rodeo in Las Vegas. National Anthem, yes, but no prayer.

Neither wife nor I have any kind of problem with a prayer being said before a rodeo, but I really, really wonder if it will become a problem. Not all rodeo spectators are into praying or Christianity.

Cowboy Church can be held on a Sunday morning at a rodeo grounds, before an afternoon performance, but that is pretty much voluntary only. When attending a rodeo, I would think that most spectators don't know that a prayer will be said, just prior to the performance.

Rodeo is the only event that a prayer is said. Not in NFL, MLB, NBA or anything else. IOW, don't want to lose any rodeo fans due to the fact a prayer is now being said prior to a performance.

Comments?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm sure those who don't want to pray are not required to do so. I am surprised it is happening now though in this time of anti church.
    If they can bend a knee in protest then we an bend one in prayer is the way I see it.
    Although I do believe in separation of church and state I don't see how this hurts anyone.

Mary Stetler and Al Amoling like this.
  3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

There's always a prayer during the opening ceremonies at the Daytona 500. They may do it at other races, too, but not much gets televised before the race starts so it wouldn't be on TV.

I see nothing wrong with a prayer that doesn't get deep into proselytizing, but just asks for divine protection for the safety of the participants.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, haven't heard of any problems with saying a prior-performance prayer, but who knows in the future. I just happen to think about it and that we had never heard one done until recently. But, come to think about it, I do believe I've heard a prayer done on tv, just prior to a NASCAR race. But, on tv, not for NFL, NBA, MLB or most other televised sports.

Perhaps, and note the word "perhaps", a televised sporting event wouldn't show a prayer being done, for whatever reasons. But, I still think that a certain amount of "fan base" could be lost doing it. Hope not, but then again.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm pretty sure there was a prayer before the two PRCA rodeos that I covered as a paramedic. Of course, that was at a time before prayer was considered shock and awe.

6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never been to any rodeo, PRCA sanctioned or not that there wasn't an opening prayer. A few hundred rodeos over the years including Texas, Mexico, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Montana, and Alberta. I witnessed all kinds of side prayers behind the chutes. If praying offends you, then rodeo isn't a good place to hang out. Lots of praising God with chew in cheek before the ride and cussing him and spitting when things went awry.

7. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

if i had to ride one o those buckin broncos....
    i'd want a prayer

8. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Interesting thread Cody.

I personally am glad to see a prayer added to any event, be it public or private, but agree that the trend line is down for such affairs, not up. That's because the misguided notion of separation of church and state has not only shut down public displays of Christianity, but has also infiltrated the private arena too - most significantly via an overall national secular trend of beliefs and values.

I have a thought on why rodeo, and perhaps car racing, might offer prayers that other major league sports don't. Though I haven't seen any studies on the matter, I'd expect a difference in the participant base. Isn't it likely that rodeo, and maybe car racing, events attract more rural, conservative, traditional American type people, whereas the other sports attract more liberal, city folks? If that be the case, there's strong voting and research study evidence demonstrating a wide gap between conservatives and liberals with regard to embracing Christian beliefs and values. I'd suggest that a group of conservatives are far more likely to support an opening prayer than a group of liberals. Perhaps the owners consider this - not necessarily prompting an irreligious one to adopt prayer, but allowing the religious one to "risk" sponsoring it.

As for dissuading fans by injecting a short prayer at the beginning of spectator events? I think anyone willing to pay the price and make the effort of attending an event expects to encounter annoyances of many kinds, and the short moments of a prayer offending the very few are far outweighed by other likes or dislikes that one will encounter at an event.