Rodeo Debates

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

John, do you see the word "rodeo" anywhere on this advertisement? Bull Riding is just that, a bull riding, nothing else. A rodeo has more events than just bull riding.

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Total nonsense and internet intelligence sponsored by those that are still upset that the PBR has a bigger audience and is worth more money than the PRCA. There are rodeos that just have roping such as the big loop in Jordan Valley, Oregon. YES, it is a RODEO! We have rodeos just for mounted shooting around here. Yes, PRCA rodeo includes several events and disciplines. PRCA is NOT the final word in rodeo. Does that mean the single-event PRCA cowboys aren't real rodeo cowboys?

Rodeo comes from the word roundup and any single event, a few events, or many events that originally came from ranching or based on ranching constitute a rodeo. Think about it! You say you were a roper and consider yourself a rodeo cowboy. By your reasoning then you were just a roper "cowboy" and not rodeo since you participated in a single event. Championship steer wrestlers that never did any other event in PRCA-sanctioned rodeos are admitted to the National Rodeo Hall of Fame. The same with barrel racers who never did anything but barrel race, are they not admitted to the National professional RODEO hall of fame as RODEO cowgirls? Are not these single-event cowboys and cowgirls considered rodeo?

I have been to barrel racing rodeos. I never heard anyone say, it wasn't a rodeo. I know several lifelong ranchers that invite neighbors and that still use rope and drag and hot iron branding and consider that a rodeo. Several come just as spectators when a branding rodeo is announced. There are even several around here that follow a branding circuit. We also have just bull riding events that are considered rodeo. When any single event is advertised they may not call it a rodeo because of all the modern fans that think there will be multiple events thanks to the confusion started on the internet.

The annual specialized Big Loop Rodeo in Jordan valley doesn't care what anyone thinks and calls their event a rodeo and has for the last 61 years. You get disqualified if you have less than 20 feet in your loop.

Sorry but I am not basing my knowledge on the internet and keyboard "cowboys."

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

First of all, I've never/ever known anyone that could "bash" someone as good as you can! You must love that type of personality. I sometimes simply don't understand why Ken allows it, but it is his forum.

Second, you may call it the National Rodeo Hall of Fame, but the real name, and it's on the building outside is...........Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame.

You can call rodeo what you want, but calling a PBR a rodeo is very misleading to many folks that really don't know. A Barrel Racing Futurity isn't a rodeo either, just like a Reining or Cutting Championship isn't.

What I want to know is, have your ever had a membership into WPRA? Obviously, since WPRA is for women, I haven't, but I was a member of PRCA for a number of years. I not only roped in an arena, I worked for major Stock Contractors, like Cotton Ross (Fly "U", Tommy Mitchell (Triangle "T"), Western Rodeo Company, John Growney (Growney Bros) and a few others. Back then, in the mid 80's, Cotton Rosser's kids, Reno and Cindy, were very young. Wife and I were at the HOF, in Colorado Springs this last July, when Cindy was Inducted. Trevor Brazile, Bobby Harris, Bobby Motes were inducted and we talked to all of them and got our picture taken with all of them.

BTW, I've put pictures on this forum of us with Charmagne James, and some others, where are your pictures of being next to, and talking to, PRCA/WPRA World Champions from 2000 on? Want to see a picture of us with Trevor at the Hall of Fame Cowboy Ball? Got that! Both wife and I were well dressed for that. I'm even wearing one of my trophy buckles that I was proud to wear that night.

Faye, you most definitely know much, much more about the ranching, and ranching rodeo, industry, then I ever would, but when it comes to PRCA/WPRA rodeo, you need to sit in the seat behind wife and I. LOL

"Keyboard cowboy"........now that is hilarious! Then again, to enter a PRCA rodeo, a contestant can use a computer or even text their "entry". Calling can be done as well.

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodeo
    You say tomayto and I say tomahto.
    Wikipedia has the definition of rodeo. It seems to be a generic term for the skills required by vaqueros and cowboys.
    Stop quarreling over nothing.

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Just to clarify!

The Jordan Valley Big Loop Rodeo was started with big loop team roping and mainly roping wild horses that roam that area. It remained that way for many years and slowly added other events to draw in bigger crowds. Since it is in a remote area, those coming just to see the unique big loop roping were not bringing in the revenue so other popular rodeo events were added. With that said it has always been called a rodeo.

A point worth making is rodeo as we know it today is more of a sport with athletes than a display of ranch skills. That doesn't make it good or bad, just different than the rodeos of old. We see the same thing happening in rodeo that we see in other sports, jobs, education, and government. The modern trend is to change history to fit a narrative that results in making promoters wealthier.

Rodeo is a vast topic and isn't defined by one organization or the others.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Mary, I didn't start it, Mrs. Know-It-All did! Then again, I'm a Mr. Know-It-All, so............

Stop quarreling, this forum wouldn't be right if all quarreling was stopped. LOL Quarreling can be fun. Again, LOL

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As with any other topic, anyone who cannot discuss rodeos without personal attacks should not take part in such discussions. Discuss the topic, allow others to agree or disagree with you, and stay away from personal nonsense. This isn't Middle School and I'm not a hall monitor.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Faye Fox and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

But Ke-e-e-e-n....
    (my attempt at whining)

Marie Mallery and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Very true, Faye. Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with you! But, there are events in a WCRA rodeo, that are not in a PRCA rodeo, like fake branding competition, hide races and loading cattle into a Stock Trailer. These are all timed.

And, to see part of a WCRA rodeo taking place during a PRCA rodeo, now that's interesting. Watching WCRA Saddle Bronc Riding is somewhat, to very, different than PRCA Saddle Bronc Riding. Just like watching the women's bronc riding.

WPRA is now very big into Breakaway Roping and two very well know Breakaway ropers, Jackie Crawford and JJ Hampton have help it become popular not only within PRCA rodeos, but also the Finals rodeo in Vegas.

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Attention William Floyd Fousnought

First of all my post was what Ken has asked us to do and that is to discuss things in our own words and make valid points from experience.

Who cares what memberships, belt buckles, or famous rodeo people I have met or had my photo taken with? No one!

And who did I bash? Sit in the seat behind you and your wife. Hahaha, what a hoot. You accuse me of being misleading, yet you fail to address any of the valid points I made in my lengthy and informative post. You fail to consider the reason. You are the one that starts the personal attacks with your arrogance, put-downs, and taunting.

You have addressed me in times past starting your post with, "Listen Lady!" That is a verbal attack the same as getting in my face and yelling. You also did it to one of my friends on Ranchers recently. It is not only disrespectful but also belligerent and an abuse against women. You won't do it to Yvonne even if she disagrees with you. Why because you know she has powers. You won't do it to any of the men because you don't have the courage.

I stand by my point that your knowledge of rodeos is all about what PRCA publicist post on the internet, your brief time weekend roping, and what you learn from watching PRCA rodeos. You know nothing of the history, nor do you want to learn. That is your right, but don't pose as a RODEO expert when your knowledge is so limited and narrow-minded.

You fail to address the fact by your own admission, that when you team roped (only one event) that you and the heeler left the rodeo. So if you participated in just one event and then didn't even bother to hang around to watch the other events, by your reasoning you would be just a roping "cowboy" and not a rodeo cowboy. See my point? This is what Ken wants us to do; discuss things, not contradict another post by accusing the poster of being misleading and of lesser knowledge than you.

Now, if you ever start your post to me or any other lady again as, "Listen, Lady," I will report that as a verbal assault meant to shut women up that disagree with you. It is considered as getting in a woman's face and intimidating her.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I moved some posts from the Rodeos thread to this thread, which I just created as a suppository for quarrelsome rodeo posts that include enough information or interesting ideas that I don't want to delete them. This thread should not be thought of as an invitation for an argument, and personal attacks are overly annoying. Also please note that some of the posts that have been moved here are not necessarily bad (some were helpful), as some of them were moved here simply because they wouldn't make sense without the rest of it. Keep in mind, also, that the tone and the personal nature of some of the posts above should not be repeated. If there are no more rodeo quarrels, this thread will sink to the bottom, and that's what I'm hoping for - unless, of course, debates can come about without personal attacks.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

This isn't a "Debate", just a fact: Yesterday we renewed our yearly membership to the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame in Colorado Springs. Will be getting a new Bogglehead of Bob Tallman, a legendary PRCA rodeo announcer. Already have one of Hall of Fame Bull Riding Champion Donny Gay and of Hall of Fame Barrel Man Leon Coffee.

Renewing our membership means that, if we have time before moving, we can attend the PRCA Pro-Rodeo Hall of Fame Induction Weekend, which includes the Cowboy Ball (that we attended in July 2022) and Induction Day (that we also attended in July 2022). It's truly an honor to be a public member of the Hall of Fame and support it.

The young lady, who is in-charge of membership, that I called, was highly impressed with all of the World Champions we've met/got autographs from, and how many years we've been serious fans of PRCA rodeo.

The first major rodeo of the year starts in a few days in Denver, Colorado. We won't be going, but will watch each performance on the Cowboy Channel on our Roku connection.

13. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

i've slept through a gentle misting rain with only a rescued mustang to shield me from the elements at the parker ranch. that one loved the songs i sang and the odiferous flowers i would put on its mane...

Cody Fousnaugh and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a Shaq bobblehead. Woo-hoo! I'm a pro basketball player!

15. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

had my will to survive tested on maui when a horse took off full gallop before bucking me on a field strewn with the occasional lava rock. how i managed to miss mangling myself up on that fall will always amaze me. just a day in the life of a ranch hand...

but the most interesting horse i've been around was a shire doing the state fare circuit in washington state. mounting him was doing the splits.

not sure if being a horse person qualifies me as being a cowboy?

Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.