Ron Desantis

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Beth Gallagher, Dec 14, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Thought I'd kick off any discussion around DeSantis, as his popularity appears to be growing. From what I've seen, he is an impressive governor and I would definitely support him if he runs for president in 2024. He's only 44 years old and still in the Navy Reserve.

Bio from MyFlorida.com...

A native Floridian with blue-collar roots, Ron DeSantis worked his way through Yale University, where he graduated with honors and was the captain of the varsity baseball team. He also graduated with honors from Harvard Law School. While at Harvard, he earned a commission in the U.S. Navy as a JAG officer. During his active-duty service, he supported operations at the terrorist detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and deployed to Iraq as an adviser to a U.S. Navy SEAL commander in support of the SEAL mission in Fallujah, Ramadi and the rest of Al Anbar province. His military decorations include the Bronze Star Medal for meritorious service and the Iraq Campaign Medal.

After active-duty service, Ron DeSantis served as a federal prosecutor, where he targeted and convicted child predators. He still serves in the U.S. Navy Reserve. He was first elected to Congress in 2012, as the U.S. Representative for Florida’s Sixth District, where he fought for term limits, the No Budget/No Pay Act, and to cut taxes. While serving in Congress, he refused his Congressional pension and health insurance plan because he is against special deals for politicians. He also sponsored legislation to make it easier for the military to prosecute sexual assault and authored the bill to end the secret taxpayer-funded slush fund for members of Congress to make hush payoffs for sexual harassment.

Tony Page, Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  2. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

DeSantis seems to have a better command presence and action orientation than most other potential candidates. I think the Dems are more afraid of him than Trump, who seems to have a lot of blind spots.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I won't vote for him in a primary because I suspect that his current constitutional stance won't continue beyond the election. Neocons often talk and act like constitutional conservatives until after they're elected, and I'm not convinced that this isn't him. For example, Kevin McCarthy, of all people, is talking tough now but he'll be back to collaborating with the Democrats once he has firmed up the Speaker position. If DeSantis shows up on the ballot in November of 2024, I may or may not vote for him. I'm certainly not going to vote for the Democrat but I don't know that I'll be interested in voting at all.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm not sure I understand exactly what a "neocon" is, or whether the term applies to DeSantis. I only know what I can learn about the man as far as his accomplishments, and I find him impressive. Of course a lot of things can change in 2 years so I'll be watching.

5. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Just look at how many have run for President over the decades and crashed and burned in the end. I'm going to be stubborn and hang with Trump. If he had the law and support behind him we would all have been better off today. The Nation turned a complete blind eye to sedition and an active coup de tat from those dirt bags the clintons. I make a special point to never capitalize a persons name when I hate them. From what I see is the Republicans on their way to another failure with so many going different directions. This midterm was an eye opener and should wake a lot of people up, but it won't !

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I believe this, too. The Republican Party is going to splinter, leaving the Democrats forever in the driver's seat.

7. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Until all of the money and credit has gone.

Tony Page, Krystal Shay and Faye Fox like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The good news is, we'll be gone, too.

9. John West

Registered

Amidst all this doom and gloom about dems being in control forever, there is some light, however small. To his credit and the best of my knowledge, DeSantis hasn't announced the availability of any trading cards with his likeness (in some super hero costume) on them.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

"Only $99 each! Would make a great Christmas gift. Don't wait. They will be gone, I believe, very quickly!"-- Donald Trump

:rolleyes:

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Too soon to talk about it, but I'll Watch the thread.

Tony Page likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

ohhhh, I thought he said 99 cents each. I will have to rethink the purchase.;)

13. John West

Registered

This week, DeSantis held a “Public Health Integrity Committee” live roundtable conference with medical professionals and individuals who said they were injured by the vaccine. DeSantis also said he filed a “petition with the Supreme Court of Florida to impanel a statewide grand jury to investigate any and all wrongdoing in Florida with respect to the COVID-19 vaccines.”

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I know that this was just another one of his epic trolls, and apparently worked really well , with all the news media making fun of it; but the interesting thing is that they all sold out within 12 hours.
    Sure , it is a campaign donation; but at least Trump gets most of his donations from regular people and not big PACs like most of the other politicians do. Most of DeSantis money comes from the huge donations from political sources, not from people, like Trump’s money does.

Word on Twitter is that he made $4.5 million in donations in 24 hours; so i guess that little troll worked out ver well for him.
    PS DeSantis sold cards with pictures of his boots from the military, so that is not much different.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You would still be overpaying. :p

Lulu Moppet and Yvonne Smith like this.