Savings On Food

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Hedi Mitchell, Nov 10, 2023.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I was just reading about a fairly new way to save money on food. The app Flashfood on Google was named in the article. There are others.Grocery stores have to clearance out or ditch foods Before the expired dates. Now stores are listing items about to be clearances or ditched. On the app you can purchase the foods and set up a pick up time. You must pay for the food thru the app. Anyways supposedly you can save money this way nd saves the planet stuff . However wouldn't you know, will not work for us as there are not any participating stores close to us. Think you should check out though, long as you do not live in BFE you can save money.
    Has anyone here already been doing this?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't heard of that, G. I have often wondered why grocery stores throw out so much food instead of donating to a soup kitchen or whatever.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Okay, before I retired I worked in the corporate office of a large food distribution company. Our customers were mostly chain restaurants. We had 15 or so warehouses across the country, and one thing that we found out that is when we made an effort to donate damage/etc food to a local food bank, our losses from damaged goods always went up. It seems that if we had two cases of, oh, damaged cans of ketchup, the standard procedure would be to try to combine the undamaged cans into one sellable case, and discard the other. But once it was know we would donate the damaged goods, employees would no longer make any attempt at salvage because "it would go to a good cause", and donate both cases. It's always easy to be charitable with someone else's money.

The other issue of course was product liability, and some of our supplies, especially if it was a logo product, did not allow for charitable donations.

Don Alaska likes this.