Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We had a great weekend and Mother's Day. Our son and his family came to spend the weekend, and on Saturday evening our two daughters and youngest grandson also showed up to surprise me. We had a lot of fun and it was nice to have "most" of the children home for a while. A lot of noise and running up and down the stairs going on, just like in the old days.

Our oldest granddaughter is in nursing school and is looking to move into her first apartment in the Austin area. I told her to come down and she could have all my housewares from out of the RV since we are planning to sell it. I had a complete stocked kitchen, lots of bath towels, rugs, bedding, vacuum cleaner, etc. We all went to the RV on Sunday morning and loaded everything into her car and her dad's truck. She was so excited to get everything and I was excited because I don't have to figure out what to do with that stuff when we sell the motorhome.

It was really quiet when everyone left Sunday evening. Made me think of what my mother used to say... "I'm glad to see 'em come and glad to see 'em go." :D:D I totally get it, Mama.

Today we had lots of errands to run. Somehow I forgot to give my granddaughter the silverware from the RV; I guess no one opened that drawer. So we went to get it and I packed it up to mail to her.

I picked a bunch of cucumbers on Saturday and another bowl full today. My next door neighbor was outside so I asked him if he'd like some cukes, so I managed to get rid of a bunch. The cherry tomatoes are ripening pretty fast and I've picked a lot of them. Also picked the first "beef steak" tomato this morning. I do need to thin out the tomato plants since I overplanted my raised beds with indeterminate tomatoes and they are sprawling everywhere, even being staked.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

:) so happy you all had that time. 2 daughters and GD are coming on 5-27.. along with one tiny dog, a med sized dog and a dove// can hardly wait:)

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The husband has resumed his weekends at MIL's since his recent brush with appendicitis. So when he left I dragged out my new food processor to test it out, and now I remember why I seldom use a food processor. Thirty minutes of cleanup time after slicing a cucumber in 3 seconds and whirling some hummus. :rolleyes: The hummus turned out really good despite the fact that I totally forgot to put the garlic in. o_O Here's the super easy recipe (no tahini required); apparently the garlic is optional:

Easy Hummus
    1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 clove garlic, crushed (if you remember it)
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    ½ teaspoon salt
    2 drops sesame oil, or to taste (Optional)

Blend garbanzo beans, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt, and sesame oil in a food processor; stream reserved bean liquid into the mixture as it blends until desired consistency is achieved. I probably added a couple of tablespoons of the bean liquid but you might prefer a thicker consistency.

I sprinkled the top with a bit of smoked paprika, mostly for looks. Then I dipped cucumber slices in and messed up the looks anyhow.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yep, the cleaning is the reason I don't use my big one.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So , I went searching for one of those folding lawn chairs, and the silly things are about $50 now ! I remember when they were cheap lawn chairs. Anyway, walmart had those plastic ones for $15 (it was an ugly grey), so I bought one and have been happily out there weeding the raspberries all morning.
    Thank you for the good advice, @Beth Gallagher …..it works perfectly for me, too !
    Now, time for a shower and nap to recuperate.

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I created this thread 3 years ago:

Webbed Aluminum Chaise Lounges Are Collector's Items

Those cheap aluminum lounges with the plastic webbing back then were being advertised for over $100. I bet if we all dug deep enough into our stores, we each have at least one re-webbing kit kicking around, most likely with the $1 yard sale price on it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I've been making pickles and puttering around the yard. It's cloudy but no rain yet. Earlier I opened the front door to retrieve a package and had a run-in with a ribbon snake who was sunning himself on the doormat. I don't know which one of us was more startled. He started hustling away and I slammed the door. :D He was probably hiding from the lawn guys who were mowing the grass today.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Damn. Business is picking up in the Diary section. :D

Caution: Boring Tome Ahead (and possible TMI). You've been warned.

Today was a long, upsetting day and right now I have a headache that is pounding behind my eyes. I had appointments for my annual mammogram and followup with my radiologist at MD Anderson, so we got up early and left the house around 8 a.m. The facility was particularly busy today and wait times were long.

I was finally called to the imaging department about an hour past my appointment time and was told I'd have a mammogram "with tomo," which is short for tomosynthesis. (Tomosynthesis is a three-dimensional mammogram that uses X-rays to obtain sectional images of the breast, which are then reconstructed into a 3D volume. Tomosynthesis is performed by moving the X-ray tube on a circular arch and making a series of low-dose exposures, from different angles, in a few seconds.) The procedure is quite uncomfortable (actually HURTS) and takes longer than a regular mammogram, and includes "breath holds" like some types of radiation treatment.

After taking several images from different angles, the technician asked me to sit in the private waiting area in my hospital gown until the radiologist had a look at the images. So more waiting. Finally the tech came and asked me to return to the imaging area... the radiologist needed a closer look at one area so back I went for more torture while my fear was building. Can you imagine how my stomach dropped to my ankles on hearing those words? Immediately I was transported back to January 2021 and The Nightmare; my mind was racing.

My radiology oncologist appointment wasn't until 2 p.m., so my husband and I went to the cafeteria where we bought and shared a chicken salad sandwich, mostly to justify our use of a table in the crowded facility. MDA still requires face masks and the cafeteria is the one place where they don't have to be worn. I could barely swallow so I only had a couple of bites, but it was nice to take that stupid mask off. I expressed my terror to my husband and tried not to upset him but I could see that he was worried, too.

We went outside and walked around a bit since we had about an hour to kill, then reported to the Radiology Department for another long wait. I finally saw the doctor at a little past 3 p.m.; my blood pressure was sky-high. I was finally given the news that my mammogram was clean; nothing suspicious found. I was so relieved that I started to cry; I didn't realize the amount of stress I was feeling.

Finally got out of there and straight into Houston rush hour so it took forever to get home. This was a horrible day but thankfully had a good ending, except for the headache. I asked my doctor to schedule a consultation for me with a breast surgeon; I'm not going to go through this crap again.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Oh yeah... on the way home on the freeway (which was more of a parking lot), we were behind a truck with one of these on the tailgate...

upload_2023-5-25_18-23-29.png

I just ordered one from Amazon for my husband's Jeep. :D:D

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher I am so glad your okay. I was almost to tears reading your post. Happy dance!!
    [​IMG]

Krystal Shay and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, G. [​IMG] It was a hard day for me.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I bought a bottle of water today at MDA. I had never seen this brand but I wasn't in the mood to look around so I picked it up. Got a snicker out of the label...

IMG_2574.jpg

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

OK, one more post. :D My daughter texted me earlier and said this little guy is in need of a home. He's available on a neighborhood listing where she lives in Austin...

pup.jpg

pup2.jpg

He's a "ChiWeenie", so probably a tiny little fellow. She's going to see if he's still available so maybe I will have a new little love before long. He's 8 months old.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

He looks like a lively little guy.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

He's probably already been snapped up, but I agree that he'd probably be a live wire. :D