Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, the puppy has already been re-homed, so no little ankle-biter for me. Maybe next time.

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

May be for the better.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Ugh, it's hot. Just puttering around and watering the small garden and I'm sweated down.

I've been bitching for months about the kitchen faucet dripping. It's one of those big goose-neck pull-down sprayer models with a single control handle. It has always been finicky to shut off but if you know the secret, you must swing the control handle always from right to left and down. If you just pull it down it keeps dripping. Anyway, it is increasingly difficult to get the water OFF and I'm a cook who uses a LOT of water... on/off, on/off, on/off.

Finally my whining paid off and the better half decided to replace the cartridge or whatever needs replacing in that faucet. As with everything we touch, it turned into a production with two trips (so far) to the hardware store. First the cut-off valve under the sink wasn't working so it had to be replaced. :rolleyes: He finally got the faucet taken apart and I've got parts soaking in a vinegar solution to get the hard water crud off everything. He's gone to Home Depot/Lowe's to see about the replacement parts. He will probably come home with a whole new faucet assembly that is something I don't like/don't want and that's when the fight will start, if you KWIM. :p

I was planning to make some jam this afternoon but apparently the kitchen is out-of-order at the current time so I'm drinking beer and contemplating the meaning of life.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

If you have a Moen or American Standard, the only place to get the cartridge is from them and it is free. That is if you registered it after purchase. or have the original receipt. My last kitchen Moen needed a new cartridge, but since it was a discontinued style and they were out of cartridges, I was able to get a new one that has all the water controls in a box below the sink for free because I still had the original purchase receipt. The handle just controls a rheostat.

What the guarantee didn't cover was installation that almost put me into physical therapy and took me several hours. Be nice to the hubs as you don't want him handing you the tools and going out to play dominos. :)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, the faucet is fixed and works great. The replacement cartridge was $45 and worth every penny. Dropped right in and with an Allen wrench set screw we are back in business. The faucet is a Delta, Faye. It was installed in 2009 when we had granite countertops installed in the kitchen and has been a good faucet until it started leaking, so we got 14 years out of it. I'm going to order another cartridge from Amazon to have as a backup, which will guarantee that the new one will last longer than me.

Don Alaska, Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Delta is the way to go since replacement parts are available at Home Depot or on Amazon. I would have saved myself a lot of time and frustrating phone calls by going with Delta. $45 is better than the stress of emailing sales receipts and photos of the faucet and trying to read tiny numbers to them as long as the alphabet, then waiting 10-15 days or paying $20 for expedited shipping. The new replacement they sent me, is not as well made as the old one.

Glad you got that fixed and my water is also hard and full of calcium and really messes up those shut off faucets. I need to order another gallon of white vinegar. I have to use it regularly in my Cuisinart kettle and dishwasher.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I checked Amazon and they have the Delta part in stock; same price as Home Depot. They also have several "equivalent" cartridge valve replacements for anywhere from $19 to $26. Most of them have excellent reviews so that will probably be the way to go next time.

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well I missed out on the little fellow in Austin, G. How is Radar these days?

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Old,chubby and on heart meds now. He still gets spunky come late afternoon.:)

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Sounds like me. [​IMG]

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  12. John Brunner

Good girl.

There will be extra kibble in your bowl tonight.

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I have been on a canning binge; today I have a dishpan full of cucumbers that are guilting me into more pickles. I'm annoyed that I followed the Ball canning recipe for blueberry jam that has entirely too much sugar, so I have 8 jars of wasted blueberries. :mad: I knew that damn recipe wasn't going to be good but I went with it anyhow. (It got rave reviews so WTF do people like to eat?? Just spoonfulls of sugar?)

I'm also annoyed that I have no stamina whatsoever these days. I get tired doing practically nothing and it's so frustrating to me. I used to be a busy bee type person and now I just meander. A pox on old age; it blows.

In other news, the better half is bringing me a steak and baked potato in a little while so I will drink a beer and contemplate my next canning adventure.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Report on latest pickle canning: :mad::mad::mad:*

* All that damn mess for mediocre results

Another dilemma -- where in the hell am I going to store all these jars of 'meh' food? I need to start thinking things through a little better.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  15. John Brunner

You look like the generous type who shares the fruits of her labors freely...for purely unselfish reasons, don't you know.

(ps: my mailbox got run over so I can't get packages for a few weeks...supply chain issues)

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.