Cat Seizures

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Thomas Stillhere, Sep 11, 2022.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My little snuggie cat has not been electrocuted as I thought, he is having seizures and I witnessed him having one a few minutes ago. Just my luck I guess and I'll have to try and get him to a vet soon as I can.

Reading up on the problems with cat seizures I think it will probably be best to have the poor little guy put to sleep. I live where there is no help I could get if he is suffering and should I need to get him help without during the daytime hours and driving to the next town. I hate watching him suffer like he already is. I have not sprayed a lot of flea spray but only a small amount a couple times while he was in the room. The other two were also present but they have been normal so far. So I ordered a carrier from walmart since I need one to get the other two to the vet if needed. I sure hate to lose the little guy he is so pretty and amusing to watch him play. I have to face the facts and recognize my own limitations now with my health and not having a lot of money to spend on cats that were left by their mother.. I had already made the decision not to have any more dogs since I could not take care of them as they should be. They are always like children to me and I get much too in love with them. I will have to take the advice of the vet and it will be the vet I used last year to have my poor deaf dog put to sleep. I need to find a free foundation that takes donation rather than pay a lot of money to have one put to sleep. I know there is a Parrish organization that spays cats so I will call them and see if they can put him to sleep. I will bring him home and bury him beside his other little brother or sister that died after I had it 2 days.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

:eek::( sorry to hear that.

3. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Thanks, there really isn't much I can do but have him put to sleep. I don't want him to suffer and he is falling from high places and might injure itself more,. even if it recuperates fast. I'm just very sad now and the day started so good. I ordered a small carrier so I can get him to where he needs to go.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

:( ,I understand. Radar the Wonder dog is failing a bit also.

5. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

I am almost convinced that the carpet flea spray might be the culprit. The time table seems to fit since he has never had any issues. I only spray a couple times around my bed and across the cover but it says that it does leave a residue for a time, and he definitely does run across the bed and of course licks his paws to groom. Now my other two do not have any issues but I am going to keep a close watch on him and stop using any of that spray plus wash the bed clothes and mop the floor. He is perfectly normal this afternoon and eating like a horse like he always does. He has been playing and having a grand time with the other cats. I sit and thought about the time table of when he first started having these problems and it does coincide with me buying that spray and only using it for just an instance not really flooding an area with it. He may be more sensitive to the chemicals. If he does not have another seizure after I do the cleaning tomorrow I think he may be fine. I know the instructions mention to use a real flea spray for cats so it is not meant to be put on a cat, but it gets on the cat just as I said, they wash themselves after walking on the spread or maybe there is a very small layer on top of their drinking water etc I sure hope for the best for him, I got my old vet's number in case I do have to take him to town. Hope Radar does well also.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Hope the spray was the problem, and your little kitty gets well, John.

Just a tiny bit of dog dip/spray with permethrin in it can affect the nervous system of cats. I saw it affect the cat I had years ago one time. Caused staggering and paralysis. Vet did subq fluids to flush her system of it. My fault.

7. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Thankfully my 3 all drink a lot of water. My best try is to get my bed clothes washed good and mop this wooden floor in our room. I have tried to do the time tables on using that carpet spray for fleas and it seems that the seizures seem to be right in that time frame. Another thing is the cat has never had any issues since it was born until recently which also fits the time frame I first bought that stuff. It is not for application to the cat and only for the carpet or floors etc. It is quite smelly and I have paid attention to the flea sprays reading about not to use it on cats etc. I think this one cat is a bit more sensitive to the chemicals. I am watching the cat very close now and it is drinking water for the third time this morning but I don't worry about that they all 3 love water. No more chemicals and we'll wait until ole man winter freezes the fleas then I can use something not toxic. I read baking soda mixed with salt and sprinkled on infested areas kills the fleas. I don't believe the cats would lick it but then I could keep them out of the space if I had to use it to stop the fleas from hatching in warm weather. we are due for one of those 15 to 16 degree winters and there will not be any kind of bug left outside my bedroom door. :)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Thomas Stillhere:

Thomas, how is your little kitty doing now? Did the seizures stop? Are the fleas gone?

(Maybe you followed up in another thread and I missed it?)

We had a terrible flea problem here this summer. Still battling them. I live in a warm humid climate (Georgia).

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My friend lost her cat to the same thing, it was terrible. She was bathed in dog flea wash. We had the dog and cat soap together and she picked up the wrong one. Cost her hundreds at pet er to try to save the poor thing, they couldn't save her.

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Oh Thomas I just saw this thread and I'm so sorry your little kitty is so sick.
    We both love cats and always had one till the owls here killed my cat 15 yr ago.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  11. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

The cat seems to be doing okay, nothing since two weeks and the last event was really very fast, I am thinking it was a case of falling asleep on the corner of the bed and rolling over falling off the bed, grabbing with one paw and the nails were hung in the covers so it made the cat squeal but it had no side effects like all the real seizures. I watch it real close and it is doing well.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank goodness, glad to hear that.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

The south and its bugs, we've had a problem with chiggers aka red bugs here.
    Last night Foxy was axting like her ear was hurting bad, so we gently used Q-Tips and cleaned the ear, very careful not to push just pull. She finally settled down and acts fine today.

14. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Watching the Dallas Criminals taking a lesson from the Philly Eagles how to play football. All three of my cats are spaced out over the entire bedroom resting so they can all go bananas about the time I turn in. It was a pleasant day today and it was half over with before I realized it was Sunday. I napped late afternoon until after five but got up so I would not be awake all night. Put my cordless drill on charge so I could cut some small starter holes in this old ice chest I will make a warm house for all those little cats outside. I will make it large enough so the mother can squeeze in also and get out of the really cold and freezing nights. I figure all of the 4 small cats and her can curl up and stay very warm. I will put a little cloth inside with it so they have something under them to keep them warm. If it is 14 or 16 outside sleeping in an insulated ice chest has to better than sitting under a house or any other place that does not break the wind and frost and rain. It will slide it in under my old barn and that's the best I can do for them. I will be able to lift the lid and sit food inside if it is really nasty out.

15. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We just lost our 14+ year old Maine Coon because of congestive heart failure. We, and the vets initially, thought he had a stroke because he had trouble walking, standing and seemed blind in his left eye. We had a barrage of tests done, MRIs, spinal taps, you name it, then he had another seizure. It turns out, he had epilepsy. Phenobarbital completely eliminated the problem and he lived for another 6 good years after starting him on the pills. It turned out that pill time became his and our favorite times of day. Every 12 hours, all we had to do was say “Bryer, time for the pill”. Wherever he was in the house, he would start walking down to the front bedroom, jump up on the bed and wait for the routine. The routine consisted of lots of body massage, good rubs and scratches, thunderous purring, and a nice chicken treat after he took the capsule.