Senior Fitness And Workouts

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Faye Fox, Dec 28, 2022.

1. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My exercise routine normally includes long walks several times per week. However, during these winter months in Nevada, it is too snowy, too cold, or too windy to walk outdoors. So, one of my daughters gave me an under-the-desk walking device (see attached images). As shown, you sit in a chair and use your legs to simulate walking and-or running. The device allows controlling the tension. While I exercise, the device displays the elapsed time, the calories burned, and the distance in miles.

It has turned out to be perfect for me because I spend much of my day working at my computer. With the new device, I am able to take a break every hour and walk a half mile every hour. Eventually, I will build up to walking-running 1 mile every hour and reach the recommended 10,000 steps per day.

Walker.png

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Has anyone used a sauna for cardio conditioning? At one time, saunas were used for cardio with physically disabled people, as a wheelchair could be rolled in and the temperature could be raised to the point the heart rate was elevated. I don't know how effective it was or if it is still done. I sounded to me that it could be helpful with severe arthritis patients as well if it proved effective. I would relieve arthritis pain somewhat even if it wasn't effective on the cardiovascular system.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Our sauna and steam rooms at the Wellness Center are quite popular among the seniors.
    Both will definitely raise the heart rate and metabolism to burn more fat. And whilst it might only be temporary, everything from backaches to arthritic hands and fingers find some relief because of the heat.
    Add in that they’re both great places to find quiet and just mentally float for a bit, they pretty much stay occupied.

I personally like the steam room because it clears up my sinus cavities, any congestion in the bronchial tubes and lungs whilst cleaning up a lot of toxins via the pores in the skin.
    There have been times when the sauna and steam rooms were closed for maintenance and I have found the even the post workout muscle recovery is slower when I can’t use the steam room.

Note: On the idea of wheeling people into a sauna, I believe I saw an add for a portable home sauna
    that would be great for such a thing. A person’s head sticks out of the top whilst the rest of the body is exposed to the heat.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Don, one of my daughters has used a sauna, so I asked her if it helped her with arthritis and other pain. She said yes and for the best results, use a high-end sauna that produces far-infrared heat. This type of heat penetrates deeply into the body, typically 1.5 inches. This is the kind of sauna used at health clubs.

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

How about a little break in our workout for a couple minute’s worth of encouragement?
    And yes, ya definitely gotta watch this……!!!!

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I the exact same machine, well different color. They are nice to have when we can't go out or have difficulty walking.

John Houlihan and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

At first, I thought you were putting up a movie, what an inspiring sweet commercial.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My exercise routine?

I jump to conclusions. I leap for joy.

I do a hundred crunches a day.....cheese puffs are my favorite but I like Doritos, too.

I run my mouth and do diddly squats.

I run down the street and knock on doors to talk to people about religion. It's called the Jehovah's Fitness Program.

I would do lunges but that's such a big step forward.

I started on a fetish exercise program. I'm still working out the kinks.

I've actually been hiding out during exercise classes. I'm in the Fitness Protection Program.

I run my mouth and exercise my rights.

My favorite exercise is actually a combination of a lunge and a crunch.....in other words, lunch.

I actually tried to exercise this morning......didn't work out.

Exercise is like a drug for some people. Thankfully, I'm drug-free.

I've been thinking about getting a dog and naming him Fivemiles. Then I can say I walk five miles every day...sometimes twice a day.

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Nothing like the twist for some serious senior booty moving.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Lets roill,good one Faye.;) This is getting funner ' new word' by the hour.

Faye Fox likes this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Can't get up safely because of poor balance?

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Knees and toes good for peripheral Neuropathy in lower legs. 0.50 into video.

Faye Fox likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Awe, just get the Wii Game! Unfortunately, the only place that now sells them is e-Bay. We have a lot of fun, and exercise, when we use ours...........that is, when we use it. LOL

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Chunky on the left needs to get with the program. :p

Faye Fox likes this.
  15. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi @Faye Fox I really like the thread here and found it the other day. I didn't reply then but will try now.

I've found if I just keep moving, in any way at all, I feel so much better, and sleep for more than just 4 hours a night. I have been walking 2-4 miles at usually 3 times a week for years, but didn't lose the extra pounds until I started eating way less snacks between meals, and also too many carbs/processed foods. I've been at the gym ab average if 3 times per week for a year now and learned how to tone muscle, mainly because I lost 30 lbs and looked too skinny. Obviously I wasn't eating enough of the other macros (proteins and fats).

Now I am building a home-gym so to speak, and so far have a flat weightbench that folds for storage (I have a small 1 br apt.) and I was able to get a couple of types of stretch bands for now. I got the weight-bench mainly so I can continue my hip-thrusts that worked better than any, other exercise, weight-training I've been doing at the gym. I also didn't like having to go down to the gym much anymore as it's so crowded and I find it hard to get my workout in.

I wanted to ask you your opinion on what sort of bar-bell, or dumb bells might be best to put some "weights" to good use as soon as possible as I don't want to ruin the progress I've made at the gym? The stretch-bands will help until I get more equipment, might even be enough, I won't know until I try them.

I will be reading more of the thread in case you've covered this question already, but I did want to get in on the thread :) Denise
    PS I also have a nice exercise mat and arranging my small amount of furniture in living room so I can use my TV for music, and videos while I do my workouts ;)

Marie Mallery likes this.